what's the almond flavor?

  • joebobfla
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2004
      Yesterday was the second time that I have used my reflux still.
      Aprox 21L sugar wash @ 10% in a 50L reflux kettle with a 3" tower
      packed with glass. Took 150 mil off the head. in 4 seperate glass
      jugs, took off 1.6L then the rest, about 200 mils came off as fowel
      smelling tails. All of the booze was only 140 proof and it all has a
      distinct flavor. Wife says it's like almond. It was NOT CLEAR but had
      a thick layer of smeg in the bottom that never reached the kettle.
      Should have let it settle longer (2days)? Yeast expolding?

      Have a 40L 5% wash that I will run tomorrow. I was thinking of
      throwing my 1.6L of 140 almond flavor in with it?
      Took the wash with a siphon. Thanks for all the info. At least I am
      learnig about the still itself.
    • Scott Petrinec
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2004
        Try to let your wash totaly settle and clear before running it. You will also have much better luck fermenting your wash to closer to 20% instead of 5%. There are a couple cool calculators on this page that may help ya out... http://www.homedistiller.org/dtw.htm#finish
        Also, I wouldn't throw your almond stuff in with the 40L batch...I would run the 40L batch, then add the output from that batch to your almond batch, then run them together.

        joebobfla <joebobfla@...> wrote:
        Yesterday was the second time that I have used my reflux still.
        Aprox 21L sugar wash @ 10% in a 50L reflux kettle with a 3" tower
        packed with glass. Took 150 mil off the head. in 4 seperate glass
        jugs, took off 1.6L then the rest, about 200 mils came off as fowel
        smelling tails. All of the booze was only 140 proof and it all has a
        distinct flavor. Wife says it's like almond. It was NOT CLEAR but had
        a thick layer of smeg in the bottom that never reached the kettle.
        Should have let it settle longer (2days)? Yeast expolding?

        Have a 40L 5% wash that I will run tomorrow. I was thinking of
        throwing my 1.6L of 140 almond flavor in with it?
        Took the wash with a siphon. Thanks for all the info. At least I am
        learnig about the still itself.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Levi Langershank
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2004
          ..."3" (in) column"...???...did you mean 3'(ft)....:>)