Vodka truth wanted

  • pguy40
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 3:24 PM
      OK, so I've made Vodka with a few sugar washes and have considered
      trying with grain -most likely corn.

      I realize authorities define vodka as odorless, colorless and
      flavorless, but I see all kinds of vodkas made from corn, wheat,
      potatoes, etc.... I realize they probably use materials that are
      local and cheap BUT they all claim to "taste" better than the others.
      There are even competitions where certain vodkas are proclaimed the
      best tasting! One I'm thinking of is Tito's- they won some award in
      2001 and articles I've seen quote the owner as saying his vodka made
      from corn is superior in taste. Now, I've tasted Titos and found it
      very similar to my sugar based vodka but found both superior to
      Absolut. Tito's was good but I'll be damned if I could taste any
      corn! So, does the source material really make a difference or does
      it have more to do with the distilling and filtering?
      Any dialog on this would be greatly appreciated!

      peter
    • Bradley Grace
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 3:29 PM
        I don't know where you are, but depending on the labeling laws, there might only need to be 2 kernels of corn in the whole mash to advertise that, I'm sure the company's use whatever is cheapest for the majority of the base sugar content.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1 5:17 PM
          Flavor of the vodka is a byproduct of poor distillation, additives and chemical composition of water with which alcohol is diluted. Of course you understand and agree that pure alcohol from any source is exactly the same. Herewith all claims of "taste" are either manufactured by additives, influenced by water or imperfection of the distillation process.
          I am sure if you take chemically clean alcohol and add in the something you would be able to synthesize any "brand" to a degree when human taste is helpless to separate two samples. In the end an argument regarding personal taste is worthless.

          Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
          There are no warranties of any kind
          Act on your own risk and finally...
          I can be wrong I must say
          Cheers, Alex...

        • roweesbar1
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1 6:07 PM
            Anyone that has an interest in this should read
            John Stones "Moonlight and Roses"
            among other things explores how we are seduced by advertising to pay
            huge amounts of money for products which essentially contain the
            same product - neutral spirit. Which as all home distllers know can
            be produced very cheaply. Interesting to note now that in Australia -
            walk into any Home Brew shop and there are rows upon rows of
            essences to flavour neutral spirit. Vitually any commercial style of
            spirit can be reproduced ( admittedly with varying degrees of
            success) at a fraction of the price. Newer converts to drinking
            spirits often prefer the essence flavoured home produced product
            (from 95% spirit diluted back to 40% alcohol) as it has less of the
            harsh tastes that commercial brands have. Another bonus fewer and
            less intense hangovers.
          • Carter Cathey
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2 6:35 AM
              And, if it is two kernals of organic corn, then you have organic vodka.