Re: [new_distillers] Digest Number 1387

  • Jason Pitts
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
      I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who replied to my thread about my
      first distillation on Saturday and I do realize the stupidity of asking if
      anyone gives lessons lol, I don't know what I was thinking. I ended up
      doing two runs with my still and I consider it very successful considering
      I am alive and there were no explosions woowhoo! I ended up with 2.5 US
      Gallons from a 14 gallon wash 53 liters.

      I was smart enough to test the quality of the alcohol coming out with each
      temperature change, but I was not smart enough to separate my
      distillate. Overall I am happy with my first batch and I just hope that
      this next wash is finished by next week so I can dump my distillate back in
      and try again and separating my distillate into two batches. Unfortunately
      im collecting in 5 gallon carboy's, I really need some smaller containers,
      but we will see how this next run goes, my plan is to collect everything
      from 78 C - 80 C in one carboy and everything else in another.

      what does everyone use for collecting in? I thought about just using small
      food grade plastic buckets, but for the length of time I was out there
      distilling, Id be afraid that something that wide open would evaporate
      that's why I chose to use the carboy's.

      The guy at the local brew shop tried to sell me a carbon filter to remove
      the wash taste, does anyone else use something like this? since, once I
      get the hang of operating this still I will end up with a 95% product
      anyway would the wash taste basically be gone by then?

      thanks again,
      -Jason
    • pthoma_nz
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jason Pitts
        <Jasonmpitts@e...> wrote:
        what does everyone use for collecting in?

        Use glass to collect in. You can dilute and store in plastic drink
        bottles. Check the run by wetting your finger then dripping some
        eth0 on it, you will be able to smell the off smells easier with
        water added.
        Just add carbon to the diluted product if you need to, its more
        efficient than a filter. Follow instructions on home distiller.

        peet
      • roy packs
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
          Yepski collect in glass
          I use 2 litre sherry/port flagons. big enough to not
          spill if you forget the run a little and small enough
          to collect 500ml . I started with one and let the
          local populas know I was after more(didnt say why of
          course). I now have 10 :)

          --- pthoma_nz <pthoma_nz@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jason Pitts
          > <Jasonmpitts@e...> wrote:
          > what does everyone use for collecting in?
          >
          > Use glass to collect in. You can dilute and store in
          > plastic drink
          > bottles. Check the run by wetting your finger then
          > dripping some
          > eth0 on it, you will be able to smell the off smells
          > easier with
          > water added.
          > Just add carbon to the diluted product if you need
          > to, its more
          > efficient than a filter. Follow instructions on home
          > distiller.
          >
          > peet

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • pthoma_nz
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 31, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, roy packs <methofree@y...>
            wrote:
            > Yepski collect in glass
            > I use 2 litre sherry/port flagons. big enough to not
            > spill if you forget the run a little and small enough
            > to collect 500ml .

            Glad to see someone else forgets to check regularly.... Better to
            save to a bigger bottle and half fill it than fill small bottles...
            you will neglect it sooner or later....

            peet
          • Levi Langershank
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31, 2004
              I collect in a gallon jar(sitting inside a 48 quart cooler for safety
              purposes) until I am sure the 'middles' are well established...then I
              collect in a 6 gallon carboy until the tails appear..(temp usually drops and
              output stops)..I dont collect anything after that...:>)

              >From: "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@...>
              > > Yepski collect in glass
              > > I use 2 litre sherry/port flagons. big enough to not
              > > spill if you forget the run a little and small enough
              > > to collect 500ml .
              >
              >Glad to see someone else forgets to check regularly.... Better to
              >save to a bigger bottle and half fill it than fill small bottles...
              >you will neglect it sooner or later....
              >
              >peet

            • GWN
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 31, 2004
                Greetings All,

                I go down to my local Licqure store and buy back some of the wine
                and licqure bottles that have been turned in for the nickle deposit.
                In my state all bottles sold are charged that nickle. I pay 6 cents
                a bottle. Clean them up and soak in bleach for a few hours and have
                an unlimited source of cheap bottles for storage.

                Finally a use for the ol' Licqure store... They sure missed me... :)

                GWN

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank"