Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [new_distillers] Re: Polishing spirit

Expand Messages
  • David
    Thanks for that info, Harry, You just answered some of my questions,,,Dave
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 11 7:16 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      Thanks for that info, Harry, You just answered some of my questions,,,Dave






      At 09:17 PM 8/9/04 -0000, you wrote:
      >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec
      ><crazycro2@y...> wrote:
      >> If the headache is behind the eyes...that is the first sign of
      >methanol poisoning. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METHANOL.
      >
      >
      >
      >"Remove all methanol" is sound advice. However I doubt that
      >methanol is the problem here. I'd be looking at other things
      >like 'nasties' produced by stressed yeast working under less-than-
      >ideal conditions, like too little nutrient, poor temperature
      >control, O.G too high, any one of a dozen things that affect the by-
      >products that yeasts make. Some of these do carry over.
      >
      >The amount of methanol produced by pure sugar fermentations is
      >negligable. All grain fermentations produce a heck of a lot more,
      >and in fact methanol is present in even the very best commercial
      >Scotch Malts, ranging from 38 to 140 ppm (parts per million).
      >Moonshine tested at the same time on the same gas chromatograph
      >showed methanol at 41 ppm.
      >(Source:
      >http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/gleanings/analysis.htm )
      >
      >The amount of methanol needed in your system to produce signs of
      >poisoning is very high (15 - 30 ml of 40% solution).
      >
      >Speaking of 'signs of poisoning',...
      >(source: http://www.homestead.com/emguidemaps/files/methanol.html )
      >
      >- many of the early symptoms of methanol poisoning are non-specific
      >eg. headache, dizziness, malaise, generalized weakness, altered
      >sensorium, acute mania, and paresthesias.
      >
      >- the most characteristic symptoms that are very suggestive of
      >methanol toxicity are the visual symptoms - blurred vision,
      >decreased vision, snowfield blindness - described as "seeing a
      >snowstorm" or "stepping into a snowfield", visual scintillations,
      >photophobia, constricted vision or visual field defects, total
      >blindness.
      >
      >
      >HTH
      >Slainte!
      >regards Harry
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > New Distillers group archives are at http://archive.nnytech.net/
      > FAQ and other information available at http://homedistiller.org
      >
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.