Re: Polishing test...

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
      wrote:
      <snip>
      By the way, what is Bundy Rum? A brand name or a type of rum?
      Rana

      Both. Made in Bundaberg, Queensland Australia (hense 'Bundy', it's
      nickname). Afficionados swear by it. Rum connoisseurs swear AT it
      (they reckon it's 'metho & boot polish!'). The distillery has been
      running since 1885. Try this link...
      http://www.bundabergrum.com.au/

    • Rana Pipiens
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
        Thanks Harry. That explains the blank look I got when I asked about it here in LALAland. Rana

        Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
        wrote:
        <snip>
        By the way, what is Bundy Rum? A brand name or a type of rum?
        Rana

        Both. Made in Bundaberg, Queensland Australia (hense 'Bundy', it's
        nickname). Afficionados swear by it. Rum connoisseurs swear AT it
        (they reckon it's 'metho & boot polish!'). The distillery has been
        running since 1885. Try this link...
        http://www.bundabergrum.com.au/

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
          What is Bundy rum?
          If womens breasts were capable of dispensing bundy rum there would be a lot of starving babies being unable to get a go at their mums boobs. (That and Bookers bourbon. One breast of each would be nice.)
          Google the Bundy rum site. It's an alcoholic institution in Australia.

          Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
          From: Rana Pipiens <ranawater@...>
          Subject: Re: Re: Polishing test...

          Thanks Jim. I'm still trying to achieve what you are talking about. By the way, what is Bundy Rum? A brand name or a type of rum? Rana
        • Lebbo
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
            MMMMmmmmmmmmmm.............. Bundy............ *Homer voice*

            Best thing yet, I'm a local! 8-)

            _____

            Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
            From: Rana Pipiens <ranawater@...>

            Thanks Jim. I'm still trying to achieve what you are talking about. By the way, what is Bundy Rum? A brand name or a type of rum?
            Rana

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dbgoj2/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1092363949/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11
            eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here
            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2164330/rand=758485334>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • pthoma_nz
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 12, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimpuchai" <puchai4@o...>
              wrote:
              > In general terms, if you have the patience, allow the heads to
              > collect on full reflux for at least an hour, better for two, then
              run
              > them off as slowly as you can. Now go carefully through the main
              run
              > just as slow as you can stand. As you go, do the smell/taste test
              > towards the end. Dump everything that even hints of wet cardboard,
              or
              > anything else, unless you have a lot of windows to wash. If you
              > collect, for drinking, any more than half the alcohol in your mash
              > you are going to need carbon treatment.
              > Better to be surgical with your cuts, ruthless with your tails and
              > NEVER buy carbon.
              >
              > Been there.
              >
              > Jim Puchai.

              My other still could only get to 92%. Even when trying to judge
              heads and tails there were definite times when i missed, or the
              batch was just generally poor (maybe bad ferment? ...don't know).
              The carbon got this so-so product to the point where it was pretty
              exceptional, some was still poor, but the stuff that was close to
              good got excellent. That said....

              I just took the heads and tails from the old still and put them
              through the new still... following your instructions, I waited an
              hour and a half before taking heads, first litre of main took 1 1/2
              hours ..
              most of the body surpasses the stuff I leave on carbon, just the
              stuff close to head and tails could be improved but hard cutting
              would lose a couple of bottles of passable vodka that could be fixed
              via carbon treating. Your instructions worked a treat considering
              this was just heads and tails.

              I am getting 95+ now from new still. So without this type of abv I
              suggest carbon is unavoidable.

              Anyone tried using those heads and tails in their car ? I can't bear
              dumping it but it sure smells bad....

              peet
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 15, 2004
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...>
                wrote:
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimpuchai" <puchai4@o...>
                > wrote:
                > > In general terms, if you have the patience, allow the heads to
                > > collect on full reflux for at least an hour, better for two,
                then
                > run
                > > them off as slowly as you can. Now go carefully through the main
                > run
                > > just as slow as you can stand. As you go, do the smell/taste
                test
                > > towards the end. Dump everything that even hints of wet
                cardboard,
                > or
                > > anything else, unless you have a lot of windows to wash. If you
                > > collect, for drinking, any more than half the alcohol in your
                mash
                > > you are going to need carbon treatment.
                > > Better to be surgical with your cuts, ruthless with your tails
                and
                > > NEVER buy carbon.
                > >
                > > Been there.
                > >
                > > Jim Puchai.
                >
                > My other still could only get to 92%. Even when trying to judge
                > heads and tails there were definite times when i missed, or the
                > batch was just generally poor (maybe bad ferment? ...don't know).
                > The carbon got this so-so product to the point where it was pretty
                > exceptional, some was still poor, but the stuff that was close to
                > good got excellent. That said....
                >
                > I just took the heads and tails from the old still and put them
                > through the new still... following your instructions, I waited an
                > hour and a half before taking heads, first litre of main took 1
                1/2
                > hours ..
                > most of the body surpasses the stuff I leave on carbon, just the
                > stuff close to head and tails could be improved but hard cutting
                > would lose a couple of bottles of passable vodka that could be
                fixed
                > via carbon treating. Your instructions worked a treat considering
                > this was just heads and tails.
                >
                > I am getting 95+ now from new still. So without this type of abv I
                > suggest carbon is unavoidable.
                >
                > Anyone tried using those heads and tails in their car ? I can't
                bear
                > dumping it but it sure smells bad....
                >
                > peet

                ok, so if I had 1 litre of distillate, how much activated carbon
                would I put into it for 10 days? 1TBS? dunno, just what I read in
                other web pages, this seems a bit easier. also, if I were going for
                190 proof finished product, would it be totally necissary to dilute
                the distillate before soaking the activated carbon?
              • pthoma_nz
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 15, 2004
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve"
                  <williamson_steve@m...> wrote:
                  > ok, so if I had 1 litre of distillate, how much activated carbon
                  > would I put into it for 10 days? 1TBS? dunno, just what I read in
                  > other web pages, this seems a bit easier. also, if I were going
                  for
                  > 190 proof finished product, would it be totally necissary to
                  dilute
                  > the distillate before soaking the activated carbon?

                  This is what I do... it may be overkill, and I have had vodka that
                  lacks any body or taste at all (which I did not find ideal).

                  The distillate must be diluted. Down to 50 or 60% is fine. I divide
                  mine into 5 litre bottles and add 1 cup of treatment grade carbon.
                  Turn bottles occasionally. I wait one month. I then decant into 1
                  litre bottles and add a couple of tablespoons of finishing grade
                  carbon to each bottle, so that they continue to clean up while on
                  the shelf. I reuse all my carbon. Redistill if you want to get abv
                  back up..

                  peet
                • Levi Langershank
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004
                    ....Yes...carbon dosnt do its job ,at least not as well,at higher ABV
                    %ages...dilute to 60% or less....40% is better...remove from
                    carbon....re-distill to desired %age...:>)