RE: [new_distillers] Re: Polishing test...

  • Levi Langershank
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
      Actually,from what I have read AND from personal experimentation,the
      carbon(I want to emphasize a QUALITY carbon,there IS a difference) will do
      its work within the first 10-14 days....it doesnt hurt to leave it longer
      but its not necessary....:>)

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
        wrote:
        <snip>
        By the way, what is Bundy Rum? A brand name or a type of rum?
        Rana

        Both. Made in Bundaberg, Queensland Australia (hense 'Bundy', it's
        nickname). Afficionados swear by it. Rum connoisseurs swear AT it
        (they reckon it's 'metho & boot polish!'). The distillery has been
        running since 1885. Try this link...
        http://www.bundabergrum.com.au/

      • Rana Pipiens
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
          Thanks Harry. That explains the blank look I got when I asked about it here in LALAland. Rana

          Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
          wrote:
          <snip>
          By the way, what is Bundy Rum? A brand name or a type of rum?
          Rana

          Both. Made in Bundaberg, Queensland Australia (hense 'Bundy', it's
          nickname). Afficionados swear by it. Rum connoisseurs swear AT it
          (they reckon it's 'metho & boot polish!'). The distillery has been
          running since 1885. Try this link...
          http://www.bundabergrum.com.au/

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
            What is Bundy rum?
            If womens breasts were capable of dispensing bundy rum there would be a lot of starving babies being unable to get a go at their mums boobs. (That and Bookers bourbon. One breast of each would be nice.)
            Google the Bundy rum site. It's an alcoholic institution in Australia.

            Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
            From: Rana Pipiens <ranawater@...>
            Subject: Re: Re: Polishing test...

            Thanks Jim. I'm still trying to achieve what you are talking about. By the way, what is Bundy Rum? A brand name or a type of rum? Rana
          • Lebbo
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 11, 2004
              MMMMmmmmmmmmmm.............. Bundy............ *Homer voice*

              Best thing yet, I'm a local! 8-)

              _____

              Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
              From: Rana Pipiens <ranawater@...>

              Thanks Jim. I'm still trying to achieve what you are talking about. By the way, what is Bundy Rum? A brand name or a type of rum?
              Rana

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dbgoj2/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1092363949/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11
              eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here
              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2164330/rand=758485334>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • pthoma_nz
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 12, 2004
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimpuchai" <puchai4@o...>
                wrote:
                > In general terms, if you have the patience, allow the heads to
                > collect on full reflux for at least an hour, better for two, then
                run
                > them off as slowly as you can. Now go carefully through the main
                run
                > just as slow as you can stand. As you go, do the smell/taste test
                > towards the end. Dump everything that even hints of wet cardboard,
                or
                > anything else, unless you have a lot of windows to wash. If you
                > collect, for drinking, any more than half the alcohol in your mash
                > you are going to need carbon treatment.
                > Better to be surgical with your cuts, ruthless with your tails and
                > NEVER buy carbon.
                >
                > Been there.
                >
                > Jim Puchai.

                My other still could only get to 92%. Even when trying to judge
                heads and tails there were definite times when i missed, or the
                batch was just generally poor (maybe bad ferment? ...don't know).
                The carbon got this so-so product to the point where it was pretty
                exceptional, some was still poor, but the stuff that was close to
                good got excellent. That said....

                I just took the heads and tails from the old still and put them
                through the new still... following your instructions, I waited an
                hour and a half before taking heads, first litre of main took 1 1/2
                hours ..
                most of the body surpasses the stuff I leave on carbon, just the
                stuff close to head and tails could be improved but hard cutting
                would lose a couple of bottles of passable vodka that could be fixed
                via carbon treating. Your instructions worked a treat considering
                this was just heads and tails.

                I am getting 95+ now from new still. So without this type of abv I
                suggest carbon is unavoidable.

                Anyone tried using those heads and tails in their car ? I can't bear
                dumping it but it sure smells bad....

                peet
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 15, 2004
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimpuchai" <puchai4@o...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > In general terms, if you have the patience, allow the heads to
                  > > collect on full reflux for at least an hour, better for two,
                  then
                  > run
                  > > them off as slowly as you can. Now go carefully through the main
                  > run
                  > > just as slow as you can stand. As you go, do the smell/taste
                  test
                  > > towards the end. Dump everything that even hints of wet
                  cardboard,
                  > or
                  > > anything else, unless you have a lot of windows to wash. If you
                  > > collect, for drinking, any more than half the alcohol in your
                  mash
                  > > you are going to need carbon treatment.
                  > > Better to be surgical with your cuts, ruthless with your tails
                  and
                  > > NEVER buy carbon.
                  > >
                  > > Been there.
                  > >
                  > > Jim Puchai.
                  >
                  > My other still could only get to 92%. Even when trying to judge
                  > heads and tails there were definite times when i missed, or the
                  > batch was just generally poor (maybe bad ferment? ...don't know).
                  > The carbon got this so-so product to the point where it was pretty
                  > exceptional, some was still poor, but the stuff that was close to
                  > good got excellent. That said....
                  >
                  > I just took the heads and tails from the old still and put them
                  > through the new still... following your instructions, I waited an
                  > hour and a half before taking heads, first litre of main took 1
                  1/2
                  > hours ..
                  > most of the body surpasses the stuff I leave on carbon, just the
                  > stuff close to head and tails could be improved but hard cutting
                  > would lose a couple of bottles of passable vodka that could be
                  fixed
                  > via carbon treating. Your instructions worked a treat considering
                  > this was just heads and tails.
                  >
                  > I am getting 95+ now from new still. So without this type of abv I
                  > suggest carbon is unavoidable.
                  >
                  > Anyone tried using those heads and tails in their car ? I can't
                  bear
                  > dumping it but it sure smells bad....
                  >
                  > peet

                  ok, so if I had 1 litre of distillate, how much activated carbon
                  would I put into it for 10 days? 1TBS? dunno, just what I read in
                  other web pages, this seems a bit easier. also, if I were going for
                  190 proof finished product, would it be totally necissary to dilute
                  the distillate before soaking the activated carbon?
                • pthoma_nz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 15, 2004
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve"
                    <williamson_steve@m...> wrote:
                    > ok, so if I had 1 litre of distillate, how much activated carbon
                    > would I put into it for 10 days? 1TBS? dunno, just what I read in
                    > other web pages, this seems a bit easier. also, if I were going
                    for
                    > 190 proof finished product, would it be totally necissary to
                    dilute
                    > the distillate before soaking the activated carbon?

                    This is what I do... it may be overkill, and I have had vodka that
                    lacks any body or taste at all (which I did not find ideal).

                    The distillate must be diluted. Down to 50 or 60% is fine. I divide
                    mine into 5 litre bottles and add 1 cup of treatment grade carbon.
                    Turn bottles occasionally. I wait one month. I then decant into 1
                    litre bottles and add a couple of tablespoons of finishing grade
                    carbon to each bottle, so that they continue to clean up while on
                    the shelf. I reuse all my carbon. Redistill if you want to get abv
                    back up..

                    peet
                  • Levi Langershank
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 16, 2004
                      ....Yes...carbon dosnt do its job ,at least not as well,at higher ABV
                      %ages...dilute to 60% or less....40% is better...remove from
                      carbon....re-distill to desired %age...:>)