Re: Polishing spirit

  • grayson_stewart66
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 8, 2004
      This I
      > then treated with a Z-Filter - got 15 x 750ml
      > bottles out of it, but still got a f#$%ing
      > headache afterwards.

      Sometimes it's difficult to clearly state something on these
      newsgroups without re-reading a post several times....so I need to
      ask a few questions to make sure I'm clear on your problem. You say
      you collected the feints, took segmented collections in the middle,
      then later you say "This I treated with a Z-filter". I'm going to
      make the assumption you kept the feints seperate and treated only
      the middle cut with the Z-filter.

      If this is true then I ask the following: Has the carbon been
      recharged by boiling the carbon, rinsing away impurities, then
      drying? Is the still itself clean from impurities? And finally, not
      to sound condscending, do you take in plenty of water after
      consuming this alcohol. Even the purest product will cause a
      dehydration headache in the morning if twice the volume of water
      isn't consumed along with, or shortly thereafter, the alcohol. The
      body really sucks up water while trying to break down the complex
      chains in alcohol.

      With this said, the only time I've had a headache in the morning in
      the last 8 months was the one time I was pretty confident there was
      a heavy dose of tails in a batch.
    • Lukas Paige
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 8, 2004
        Your assumption is correct. Middle cut only treated though the
        Z-Filter. New Z-Filter, new carbon, instructions followed to the
        letter. Tails are not present as I take the cut before the tails
        start to appear. Even if I did get a slight amount of tails in there,
        wouldn't it be detectable, and wouldn't it get filtered out with the
        Z-Filter?

        Where in the still could I be getting impurities from? I used a new
        hot water system, new copper tubing, lead free solder, new scourers
        (tested to be stainless). The still has been run about 10 times now
        (5 batches, strip and final each) and is flushed with lots of water
        after every batch. It was also run with water first to get rid of any
        solder.

        The product made looks great, smells great and tastes great. Very
        very, VERY close to commercial grade vodka. Water is definitely
        consumed with a session. But the headache feeling is definitely NOT a
        normal hangover one. It's only slight, but it's piercing and in
        behind the eyes. At first I thought it was the sugar wash, but after
        lots of reading I think it's something else...

        Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

        LP.

        >This I
        >> then treated with a Z-Filter - got 15 x 750ml
        >> bottles out of it, but still got a f#$%ing
        >> headache afterwards.
        >
        >Sometimes it's difficult to clearly state something on these
        >newsgroups without re-reading a post several times....so I need to
        >ask a few questions to make sure I'm clear on your problem. You say
        >you collected the feints, took segmented collections in the middle,
        >then later you say "This I treated with a Z-filter". I'm going to
        >make the assumption you kept the feints seperate and treated only
        >the middle cut with the Z-filter.
        >
        >If this is true then I ask the following: Has the carbon been
        >recharged by boiling the carbon, rinsing away impurities, then
        >drying? Is the still itself clean from impurities? And finally, not
        >to sound condscending, do you take in plenty of water after
        >consuming this alcohol. Even the purest product will cause a
        >dehydration headache in the morning if twice the volume of water
        >isn't consumed along with, or shortly thereafter, the alcohol. The
        >body really sucks up water while trying to break down the complex
        >chains in alcohol.
        >
        >With this said, the only time I've had a headache in the morning in
        >the last 8 months was the one time I was pretty confident there was
        >a heavy dose of tails in a batch.
        >

        >New Distillers group archives are at
        ><http://archive.nnytech.net/>http://archive.nnytech.net/
        >FAQ and other information available at
        ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295sliu9/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1092112514/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
          Very often head aches are associated with dehydration, not with fusel oils. I glass or two of juice next morning could help.

          Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
          There are no warranties of any kind
          Act on your own risk and finally...
          I can be wrong I must say
          Cheers, Alex...

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
            the only , and best way to filter the stuff .
            takes 2.5 kg carbon to fill the pipe but its worth every bit , YUM YUM

          • barjarg2003
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
              Guys, Guys, Guys, Polishing or filtering through carbon is best done
              at a rate of about 1/2 litre per hour (or less!!!) I can drink a full
              bottle in a sitting, and still go to work in the morning with a
              reasonably clear head - best result was 3/4 of a bottle (at 40%) in
              one sitting and blew only 0.03% on the Police breathalyser 6 hrs
              later - are some of you trying to get 10 or more litres of neutral
              spirit thru your carbon overnight ?

              Set up 2 or more filtering units, Slow the collection rate, NO MORE
              HEADACHES - Unless you are collecting spirit at below 78 or above 89
              deg C, in wich case you may be collecting nasty stuff
              (my observations only - works for me.)

              Distill in Peace

              Craig

              PS - Boil the crap out of your used carbon, dry in a medium oven,
              cool down and re-use (cheap eh!)

            • Scott Petrinec
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                If the headache is behind the eyes...that is the first sign of methanol poisoning. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METHANOL.

                Lukas Paige <lukas@...> wrote:Your assumption is correct. Middle cut only treated though the

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • grayson_stewart66
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                  > If the headache is behind the eyes...that is the first sign of
                  methanol poisoning. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METHANOL.

                  I wouldn't suspect methanol to be a problem as he is referencing a
                  sugar wash.
                • Scott Petrinec
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                    yeah,yeah...I have heard this nonsense before, and for my own piece of mind, I took some vodka (that I made from a sugar wash) to a chemist frien...and it DID contain methanol.
                    Sugar wash or not...it is still good practice to discard at least the first 100ml per 20liter batch.

                    grayson_stewart66 <grayson_stewart66@...> wrote:

                    > If the headache is behind the eyes...that is the first sign of
                    methanol poisoning. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METHANOL.

                    I wouldn't suspect methanol to be a problem as he is referencing a
                    sugar wash.

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • Lebbo
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                      Fellow distillers,

                      IMHO, it seems to me like I am really lucky and there are alot of people
                      out there dealing with plenty of issues just to produce a good quality
                      neutral spirit. I dunno, maybe my spirit isn't as good as I think it is
                      but then I have never had a headache from alcohol in my life. I am sure
                      though that if I wasn't doing the right thing throughout the whole
                      production process that me and my friends that have tried my gear would
                      have found out well before this point.

                      I end up with about 8 litres of spirit @ 50% to filter through my zed,
                      then water the result down to 40% making it to about 10 litres. I don't
                      recycle my carbon, simply passing the purchase of further carbon as a
                      cost of production. Maybe one day I will but I just don't like the idea
                      of boiling off bad guys into the air of my rented unit. 8-) It takes me
                      about an hour or so to filter that 8 litres.

                      I have a mate that regularly knocks back a bottle of Bundy Rum in a
                      sitting and swears that a bottle of my imitation had greater effects, I
                      simply put that down to a better quality spirit than that you get off
                      the shelf, no (sorry little) impurities and no additives/preservatives
                      etc.

                      There have been heaps of posts that I have read since being here a few
                      months ago that have confused and perplexed me, mainly because they are
                      not in Australia, and have simply just thought that it's easier to go
                      ahead with what I am doing considering my success.

                      Using my reflux still, it takes me about a full day to collect a little
                      over 4 litres of ethanol @ 93%, using a digitial thermometer and keeping
                      the temps mostly between 79.5 and 80.3 degrees, I would rather be under
                      than over. My latest little toy is a webcam that can monitor the
                      digital readout so I can just sit inside and not worry about doing laps
                      in and out of the back door to check the temp/progress every 15 minutes
                      or so. I just alt+tab, have a squiz and then get on with things. 8-)

                      I in no way profess to be an expert, in fact quite the opposite esp
                      after only 3 runs. I am a beginner willing to answer any questions I
                      can and give any advice which may be asked of me. I can only tell
                      someone what I know and insist I know little.

                      It has been very enjoyable reading about the experiences of everyone who
                      contributes and I hope that I can help people out as much as those who
                      have gone out of their way to do the same. Email me direct if you like
                      and uhmmmm......... bottoms up!

                      Lebbo

[...]

                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bbip9v/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                      D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1092142532/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*htt
                      p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183351> click here

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                      s/S=:HM/A=2164331/rand=583615177>

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Austin Smith
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                      • Rana Pipiens
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                          I guess that I'll finally ask; what is a z filter and where could they be purchased in the US? I've seen the ones sold by Brewhaus,U.S.A. Is that the same thing? Rana

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        • Levi Langershank
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                            ...maybe you are just 'headache prone'....I'm not trying to be sarcastic
                            here...my method of fermenting and distilling is very similar to
                            yours......I use Prestige yeast,sugar and spring water....strip quickly to
                            appx 60-70%ABV....I then do a very slow (48-72 hours to collect 2 gal@ 96%)
                            run,tossing everything until the bad smell goes away and the temp
                            stabelizes (for days:>) at the entrance to the condenser....as soon as the
                            temp rises 1 degC,I shut the operation down and toss the rest.....I then
                            dilute with spring water to appx 40% and add 1 cup premium quality carbon
                            per 5 gallon...agitate every 2-3 days for appx 2 weeks and strain off when I
                            get around to it....I have consumed up to a full quart of this over a 3-4
                            hour period and never had a headache or nausea....I have,however,still been
                            about half 'lit' the next morning..:>)..I routinely consume a pint in the
                            evening with absolutely no effect in the morning,after 6-7 hours
                            sleep....back when I drank 'commercial' alcoholic products a morning
                            headache wasnt un-common.....I havnt bought any commercial spirit of any
                            kind in >10 years now...also,I NEVER add any 'foreshots' (aka ant killer)
                            back to future runs and I dont collect tails...all goes down the
                            drain...good luck...:>)

                          • Levi Langershank
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                              ...:>)...I used to agree...it just didnt make sense to just dump carbon into
                              a carboy of spirit and get good results...I got very good results with my
                              home-made filter...now I get great results by dumping a cup of carbon into
                              the carboy...and its a lot less work,in my opinion of corse.....the
                              key,IMHO,is to use a quality carbon to start with....but as long as it
                              works,go for it!!!....:>)

                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                ABOVE 89?????...I never collect above 80 these days....the few times I
                                did,the volume wasnt worth the effort(maybe 250ml between 80 and water) and
                                was nasty to boot...:>)....on my final-run-still,when the temp gets to appx
                                80,there isnt sufficient heat to drive it much higher anyways,usually the
                                temp falls back a bit...if I turn the heat up,it increases rapidly,telling
                                me the ethanol is gone and thats all I wanted to collect...:>)

                                >From: "barjarg2003" <barjargchilli@...>

                                - Unless you are collecting spirit at below 78 or above 89
                                >deg C, in wich case you may be collecting nasty stuff
                                >(my observations only - works for me.)
                                >
                                >Distill in Peace
                                >
                                >Craig

                              • Levi Langershank
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                  This is true...I started the 'hobby' years before the internet was
                                  around...I knew and still know a few 'moonshiners' and none of them agree on
                                  very much,except that "I" am the expert here...:>)...the best you can do is
                                  obtain a basic knowledge of the 'hobby' and figure out(thru trial-and-error)
                                  what works best for you...a little common sense goes a long way here...you
                                  can use complex formulas to determine the ABV etc but that changes little in
                                  the end...experimentation will prove many ,self-proclaimed
                                  experts,wrong...it will also prove many are correct...its your task to sort
                                  thru all the 'evidence' and return a verdict....:>)...good luck...

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec
                                    <crazycro2@y...> wrote:
                                    > If the headache is behind the eyes...that is the first sign of
                                    methanol poisoning. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METHANOL.

                                    "Remove all methanol" is sound advice. However I doubt that
                                    methanol is the problem here. I'd be looking at other things
                                    like 'nasties' produced by stressed yeast working under less-than-
                                    ideal conditions, like too little nutrient, poor temperature
                                    control, O.G too high, any one of a dozen things that affect the by-
                                    products that yeasts make. Some of these do carry over.

                                    The amount of methanol produced by pure sugar fermentations is
                                    negligable. All grain fermentations produce a heck of a lot more,
                                    and in fact methanol is present in even the very best commercial
                                    Scotch Malts, ranging from 38 to 140 ppm (parts per million).
                                    Moonshine tested at the same time on the same gas chromatograph
                                    showed methanol at 41 ppm.
                                    (Source:
                                    http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/gleanings/analysis.htm )

                                    The amount of methanol needed in your system to produce signs of
                                    poisoning is very high (15 - 30 ml of 40% solution).

                                    Speaking of 'signs of poisoning',...
                                    (source: http://www.homestead.com/emguidemaps/files/methanol.html )

                                    - many of the early symptoms of methanol poisoning are non-specific
                                    eg. headache, dizziness, malaise, generalized weakness, altered
                                    sensorium, acute mania, and paresthesias.

                                    - the most characteristic symptoms that are very suggestive of
                                    methanol toxicity are the visual symptoms - blurred vision,
                                    decreased vision, snowfield blindness - described as "seeing a
                                    snowstorm" or "stepping into a snowfield", visual scintillations,
                                    photophobia, constricted vision or visual field defects, total
                                    blindness.

                                    HTH
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > I guess that I'll finally ask; what is a z filter and where could
                                      they be purchased in the US? I've seen the ones sold by
                                      Brewhaus,U.S.A. Is that the same thing? Rana

                                      Download this file for a good description...
                                      http://www.stillspirits.com/webfiles/StillSpirits/files/5_litre_Pot_S
                                      till_&_z_filter.pdf

                                      Same link in TinyURL...

                                      http://tinyurl.com/7y3xt

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank"
                                        <unit_77@h...> wrote:
                                        > ABOVE 89?????...I never collect above 80 these days....the few
                                        times I
                                        > did,the volume wasnt worth the effort(maybe 250ml between 80 and
                                        water) and
                                        > was nasty to boot...:>)....on my final-run-still,when the temp
                                        gets to appx
                                        > 80,there isnt sufficient heat to drive it much higher
                                        anyways,usually the
                                        > temp falls back a bit...if I turn the heat up,it increases
                                        rapidly,telling
                                        > me the ethanol is gone and thats all I wanted to collect...:>)

                                        They sound like 'pot still' working temps to me. Not everyone uses
                                        reflux. ;-)

                                      • Levi Langershank
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                          ...true...thanks for the 'heads-up'...:>)

                                          >They sound like 'pot still' working temps to me. Not everyone uses
                                          >reflux. ;-)
                                          >

                                          >Slainte!
                                          >regards Harry

                                        • Rana Pipiens
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 10, 2004
                                            Thanks alot Harry. Does anyone have experience with both the Z Filter and the Gert Strand setup? Any reccomendations on either? R

                                            Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > I guess that I'll finally ask; what is a z filter and where could
                                            they be purchased in the US? I've seen the ones sold by
                                            Brewhaus,U.S.A. Is that the same thing? Rana

                                            Download this file for a good description...
                                            http://www.stillspirits.com/webfiles/StillSpirits/files/5_litre_Pot_S
                                            till_&_z_filter.pdf

                                            Same link in TinyURL...

                                            http://tinyurl.com/7y3xt

                                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                          • GWN
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 10, 2004
                                              Ouch!!

                                              :)

                                              <unit_77@h...> wrote:
                                              > ...true...thanks for the 'heads-up'...:>)
                                              >

                                              > >They sound like 'pot still' working temps to me. Not everyone
                                              uses
                                              > >reflux. ;-)
                                              > >

                                              > >Slainte!
                                              > >regards Harry

                                            • Levi Langershank
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 10, 2004
                                                ...something bite your butt???....:>)

                                                >From: "GWN" <GrtWhiteNorth56@...>
                                                >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                                >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Polishing spirit
                                                >Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:03:16 -0000
                                                >

                                                >Ouch!!
                                                >
                                                >:)

                                              • David
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 11, 2004
                                                  Thanks for that info, Harry, You just answered some of my questions,,,Dave