Re: [new_distillers] Polishing spirit

  • Lebbo
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 8, 2004
      Lukas,

      Not real experience just yet but having said that I have never had any
      issues with my product, have only ever done 3 runs and all have worked
      identically and the resulting spirit is a treat. Was the carbon old?
      And I assume you separated the methanol from the start of the still run?
      Like I said earlier, someone more experienced might have some better
      ideas.....

      Lebbo

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 8, 2004
        I carbon treat in 6 gallon carboys...usually about 4-5 gal in each one...I
        shake them every 2-3 days for the first couple of weeks...after that I just
        leave them until I get around to straining the carbon out..works for
        me....:>)

        >From: Lukas Paige <lukas@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] Polishing spirit
        >Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:52:52 +1000
        >
        >Hi,
        >
        >Is it better to agitate spirit when polishing with activated carbon?
        >I'm doing a small test on some 40% and am wondering if it's doing its
        >job sitting still in the bottom of the bottle. Any tips and tricks or
        >advice would be much appreciated.
        >
        >On another note, I posted a question about cleaning a hot water
        >system a while ago that no one answered... is it that no one knows
        >how, or was everyone away on holiday or something. :-P
        >
        >Thanks in advance,
        >
        >LP.

      • grayson_stewart66
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 8, 2004
          The carbon vendor's we deal with at work claim the surface area of a
          small amount of activated carbon (simply dried carbon like coconut
          shell) is the same area as a football field. Since the product you
          are trying to filter with carbon is essentially a homogeneous
          product the law of Brownian (sp?) motion would require that you
          agitate the material being filtered to "speed up" the process ie.
          get everything in contact with the carbon faster.

          If I was filtering I would try a few quick passes through a filter
          of carbon or give it a few quick shakes several times a day if you
          are using an amount of carbon in a container.

          As for the question of cleaning a hot water system I'm not sure what
          you want to clean from the system. you might want to try looking at
          this link
          http://www.hotwater.com/PDFManuals/WhyWhenHow4800Rev9.pdf . If you
          simply want to remove flux from soldering or contaminants you can
          use vinegar on copper or a strong citric acid.
        • Lukas Paige
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 8, 2004
            So what would be the minimum time to leave spirit on carbon?

            I've read/heard that in some small commercial
            distilleries they do one run to get 92% ABV, then
            put 40-50 litres on carbon for 24 hours only to
            get pure, headache free gear! And they only use
            4-5 tablespoons of carbon!

            What's the general consensus out there?

            For the spirit I'm currently treating I made up a
            sugar wash that was around 18-20% ABV, then
            stripped to 90% ABV, then did a slow run to get
            94% ABV. I collected all feints on both runs (and
            a lot of them) and made sure to get a good mid
            cut (swapping collection vessels often). This I
            then treated with a Z-Filter - got 15 x 750ml
            bottles out of it, but still got a f#$%ing
            headache afterwards.

            What am I doing wrong?

            LP.

            >I carbon treat in 6 gallon carboys...usually about 4-5 gal in each one...I
            >shake them every 2-3 days for the first couple of weeks...after that I just
            >leave them until I get around to straining the carbon out..works for
            >me....:>)
            >

            >>From: Lukas Paige <lukas@...>
            >>To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >>Subject: [new_distillers] Polishing spirit
            >>Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:52:52 +1000
            >>
            >>Hi,
            >>
            >>Is it better to agitate spirit when polishing with activated carbon?
            >>I'm doing a small test on some 40% and am wondering if it's doing its
            >>job sitting still in the bottom of the bottle. Any tips and tricks or
            >>advice would be much appreciated.
            >>
            >>On another note, I posted a question about cleaning a hot water
            >>system a while ago that no one answered... is it that no one knows
            >>how, or was everyone away on holiday or something. :-P
            >>
            >>Thanks in advance,
            >>
            >>LP.

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • grayson_stewart66
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 8, 2004
              This I
              > then treated with a Z-Filter - got 15 x 750ml
              > bottles out of it, but still got a f#$%ing
              > headache afterwards.

              Sometimes it's difficult to clearly state something on these
              newsgroups without re-reading a post several times....so I need to
              ask a few questions to make sure I'm clear on your problem. You say
              you collected the feints, took segmented collections in the middle,
              then later you say "This I treated with a Z-filter". I'm going to
              make the assumption you kept the feints seperate and treated only
              the middle cut with the Z-filter.

              If this is true then I ask the following: Has the carbon been
              recharged by boiling the carbon, rinsing away impurities, then
              drying? Is the still itself clean from impurities? And finally, not
              to sound condscending, do you take in plenty of water after
              consuming this alcohol. Even the purest product will cause a
              dehydration headache in the morning if twice the volume of water
              isn't consumed along with, or shortly thereafter, the alcohol. The
              body really sucks up water while trying to break down the complex
              chains in alcohol.

              With this said, the only time I've had a headache in the morning in
              the last 8 months was the one time I was pretty confident there was
              a heavy dose of tails in a batch.
            • Lukas Paige
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 8, 2004
                Your assumption is correct. Middle cut only treated though the
                Z-Filter. New Z-Filter, new carbon, instructions followed to the
                letter. Tails are not present as I take the cut before the tails
                start to appear. Even if I did get a slight amount of tails in there,
                wouldn't it be detectable, and wouldn't it get filtered out with the
                Z-Filter?

                Where in the still could I be getting impurities from? I used a new
                hot water system, new copper tubing, lead free solder, new scourers
                (tested to be stainless). The still has been run about 10 times now
                (5 batches, strip and final each) and is flushed with lots of water
                after every batch. It was also run with water first to get rid of any
                solder.

                The product made looks great, smells great and tastes great. Very
                very, VERY close to commercial grade vodka. Water is definitely
                consumed with a session. But the headache feeling is definitely NOT a
                normal hangover one. It's only slight, but it's piercing and in
                behind the eyes. At first I thought it was the sugar wash, but after
                lots of reading I think it's something else...

                Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

                LP.

                >This I
                >> then treated with a Z-Filter - got 15 x 750ml
                >> bottles out of it, but still got a f#$%ing
                >> headache afterwards.
                >
                >Sometimes it's difficult to clearly state something on these
                >newsgroups without re-reading a post several times....so I need to
                >ask a few questions to make sure I'm clear on your problem. You say
                >you collected the feints, took segmented collections in the middle,
                >then later you say "This I treated with a Z-filter". I'm going to
                >make the assumption you kept the feints seperate and treated only
                >the middle cut with the Z-filter.
                >
                >If this is true then I ask the following: Has the carbon been
                >recharged by boiling the carbon, rinsing away impurities, then
                >drying? Is the still itself clean from impurities? And finally, not
                >to sound condscending, do you take in plenty of water after
                >consuming this alcohol. Even the purest product will cause a
                >dehydration headache in the morning if twice the volume of water
                >isn't consumed along with, or shortly thereafter, the alcohol. The
                >body really sucks up water while trying to break down the complex
                >chains in alcohol.
                >
                >With this said, the only time I've had a headache in the morning in
                >the last 8 months was the one time I was pretty confident there was
                >a heavy dose of tails in a batch.
                >

                >New Distillers group archives are at
                ><http://archive.nnytech.net/>http://archive.nnytech.net/
                >FAQ and other information available at
                ><http://homedistiller.org>http://homedistiller.org
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295sliu9/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1092112514/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >To visit your group on the web, go to:

              • BOKAKOB
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                  Very often head aches are associated with dehydration, not with fusel oils. I glass or two of juice next morning could help.

                  Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
                  There are no warranties of any kind
                  Act on your own risk and finally...
                  I can be wrong I must say
                  Cheers, Alex...

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                    the only , and best way to filter the stuff .
                    takes 2.5 kg carbon to fill the pipe but its worth every bit , YUM YUM

                  • barjarg2003
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                      Guys, Guys, Guys, Polishing or filtering through carbon is best done
                      at a rate of about 1/2 litre per hour (or less!!!) I can drink a full
                      bottle in a sitting, and still go to work in the morning with a
                      reasonably clear head - best result was 3/4 of a bottle (at 40%) in
                      one sitting and blew only 0.03% on the Police breathalyser 6 hrs
                      later - are some of you trying to get 10 or more litres of neutral
                      spirit thru your carbon overnight ?

                      Set up 2 or more filtering units, Slow the collection rate, NO MORE
                      HEADACHES - Unless you are collecting spirit at below 78 or above 89
                      deg C, in wich case you may be collecting nasty stuff
                      (my observations only - works for me.)

                      Distill in Peace

                      Craig

                      PS - Boil the crap out of your used carbon, dry in a medium oven,
                      cool down and re-use (cheap eh!)

                    • Scott Petrinec
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                        If the headache is behind the eyes...that is the first sign of methanol poisoning. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METHANOL.

                        Lukas Paige <lukas@...> wrote:Your assumption is correct. Middle cut only treated though the

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      • grayson_stewart66
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                          > If the headache is behind the eyes...that is the first sign of
                          methanol poisoning. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METHANOL.

                          I wouldn't suspect methanol to be a problem as he is referencing a
                          sugar wash.
                        • Scott Petrinec
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                            yeah,yeah...I have heard this nonsense before, and for my own piece of mind, I took some vodka (that I made from a sugar wash) to a chemist frien...and it DID contain methanol.
                            Sugar wash or not...it is still good practice to discard at least the first 100ml per 20liter batch.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                              Fellow distillers,

                              IMHO, it seems to me like I am really lucky and there are alot of people
                              out there dealing with plenty of issues just to produce a good quality
                              neutral spirit. I dunno, maybe my spirit isn't as good as I think it is
                              but then I have never had a headache from alcohol in my life. I am sure
                              though that if I wasn't doing the right thing throughout the whole
                              production process that me and my friends that have tried my gear would
                              have found out well before this point.

                              I end up with about 8 litres of spirit @ 50% to filter through my zed,
                              then water the result down to 40% making it to about 10 litres. I don't
                              recycle my carbon, simply passing the purchase of further carbon as a
                              cost of production. Maybe one day I will but I just don't like the idea
                              of boiling off bad guys into the air of my rented unit. 8-) It takes me
                              about an hour or so to filter that 8 litres.

                              I have a mate that regularly knocks back a bottle of Bundy Rum in a
                              sitting and swears that a bottle of my imitation had greater effects, I
                              simply put that down to a better quality spirit than that you get off
                              the shelf, no (sorry little) impurities and no additives/preservatives
                              etc.

                              There have been heaps of posts that I have read since being here a few
                              months ago that have confused and perplexed me, mainly because they are
                              not in Australia, and have simply just thought that it's easier to go
                              ahead with what I am doing considering my success.

                              Using my reflux still, it takes me about a full day to collect a little
                              over 4 litres of ethanol @ 93%, using a digitial thermometer and keeping
                              the temps mostly between 79.5 and 80.3 degrees, I would rather be under
                              than over. My latest little toy is a webcam that can monitor the
                              digital readout so I can just sit inside and not worry about doing laps
                              in and out of the back door to check the temp/progress every 15 minutes
                              or so. I just alt+tab, have a squiz and then get on with things. 8-)

                              I in no way profess to be an expert, in fact quite the opposite esp
                              after only 3 runs. I am a beginner willing to answer any questions I
                              can and give any advice which may be asked of me. I can only tell
                              someone what I know and insist I know little.

                              It has been very enjoyable reading about the experiences of everyone who
                              contributes and I hope that I can help people out as much as those who
                              have gone out of their way to do the same. Email me direct if you like
                              and uhmmmm......... bottoms up!

                              Lebbo

[...]

                              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bbip9v/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                              D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1092142532/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*htt
                              p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183351> click here

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                              s/S=:HM/A=2164331/rand=583615177>

                              _____

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Austin Smith
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                              • Rana Pipiens
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                  I guess that I'll finally ask; what is a z filter and where could they be purchased in the US? I've seen the ones sold by Brewhaus,U.S.A. Is that the same thing? Rana

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                • Levi Langershank
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                    ...maybe you are just 'headache prone'....I'm not trying to be sarcastic
                                    here...my method of fermenting and distilling is very similar to
                                    yours......I use Prestige yeast,sugar and spring water....strip quickly to
                                    appx 60-70%ABV....I then do a very slow (48-72 hours to collect 2 gal@ 96%)
                                    run,tossing everything until the bad smell goes away and the temp
                                    stabelizes (for days:>) at the entrance to the condenser....as soon as the
                                    temp rises 1 degC,I shut the operation down and toss the rest.....I then
                                    dilute with spring water to appx 40% and add 1 cup premium quality carbon
                                    per 5 gallon...agitate every 2-3 days for appx 2 weeks and strain off when I
                                    get around to it....I have consumed up to a full quart of this over a 3-4
                                    hour period and never had a headache or nausea....I have,however,still been
                                    about half 'lit' the next morning..:>)..I routinely consume a pint in the
                                    evening with absolutely no effect in the morning,after 6-7 hours
                                    sleep....back when I drank 'commercial' alcoholic products a morning
                                    headache wasnt un-common.....I havnt bought any commercial spirit of any
                                    kind in >10 years now...also,I NEVER add any 'foreshots' (aka ant killer)
                                    back to future runs and I dont collect tails...all goes down the
                                    drain...good luck...:>)

                                  • Levi Langershank
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                      ...:>)...I used to agree...it just didnt make sense to just dump carbon into
                                      a carboy of spirit and get good results...I got very good results with my
                                      home-made filter...now I get great results by dumping a cup of carbon into
                                      the carboy...and its a lot less work,in my opinion of corse.....the
                                      key,IMHO,is to use a quality carbon to start with....but as long as it
                                      works,go for it!!!....:>)

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                        ABOVE 89?????...I never collect above 80 these days....the few times I
                                        did,the volume wasnt worth the effort(maybe 250ml between 80 and water) and
                                        was nasty to boot...:>)....on my final-run-still,when the temp gets to appx
                                        80,there isnt sufficient heat to drive it much higher anyways,usually the
                                        temp falls back a bit...if I turn the heat up,it increases rapidly,telling
                                        me the ethanol is gone and thats all I wanted to collect...:>)

                                        >From: "barjarg2003" <barjargchilli@...>

                                        - Unless you are collecting spirit at below 78 or above 89
                                        >deg C, in wich case you may be collecting nasty stuff
                                        >(my observations only - works for me.)
                                        >
                                        >Distill in Peace
                                        >
                                        >Craig

                                      • Levi Langershank
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                          This is true...I started the 'hobby' years before the internet was
                                          around...I knew and still know a few 'moonshiners' and none of them agree on
                                          very much,except that "I" am the expert here...:>)...the best you can do is
                                          obtain a basic knowledge of the 'hobby' and figure out(thru trial-and-error)
                                          what works best for you...a little common sense goes a long way here...you
                                          can use complex formulas to determine the ABV etc but that changes little in
                                          the end...experimentation will prove many ,self-proclaimed
                                          experts,wrong...it will also prove many are correct...its your task to sort
                                          thru all the 'evidence' and return a verdict....:>)...good luck...

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec
                                            <crazycro2@y...> wrote:
                                            > If the headache is behind the eyes...that is the first sign of
                                            methanol poisoning. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METHANOL.

                                            "Remove all methanol" is sound advice. However I doubt that
                                            methanol is the problem here. I'd be looking at other things
                                            like 'nasties' produced by stressed yeast working under less-than-
                                            ideal conditions, like too little nutrient, poor temperature
                                            control, O.G too high, any one of a dozen things that affect the by-
                                            products that yeasts make. Some of these do carry over.

                                            The amount of methanol produced by pure sugar fermentations is
                                            negligable. All grain fermentations produce a heck of a lot more,
                                            and in fact methanol is present in even the very best commercial
                                            Scotch Malts, ranging from 38 to 140 ppm (parts per million).
                                            Moonshine tested at the same time on the same gas chromatograph
                                            showed methanol at 41 ppm.
                                            (Source:
                                            http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/gleanings/analysis.htm )

                                            The amount of methanol needed in your system to produce signs of
                                            poisoning is very high (15 - 30 ml of 40% solution).

                                            Speaking of 'signs of poisoning',...
                                            (source: http://www.homestead.com/emguidemaps/files/methanol.html )

                                            - many of the early symptoms of methanol poisoning are non-specific
                                            eg. headache, dizziness, malaise, generalized weakness, altered
                                            sensorium, acute mania, and paresthesias.

                                            - the most characteristic symptoms that are very suggestive of
                                            methanol toxicity are the visual symptoms - blurred vision,
                                            decreased vision, snowfield blindness - described as "seeing a
                                            snowstorm" or "stepping into a snowfield", visual scintillations,
                                            photophobia, constricted vision or visual field defects, total
                                            blindness.

                                            HTH
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > I guess that I'll finally ask; what is a z filter and where could
                                              they be purchased in the US? I've seen the ones sold by
                                              Brewhaus,U.S.A. Is that the same thing? Rana

                                              Download this file for a good description...
                                              http://www.stillspirits.com/webfiles/StillSpirits/files/5_litre_Pot_S
                                              till_&_z_filter.pdf

                                              Same link in TinyURL...

                                              http://tinyurl.com/7y3xt

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank"
                                                <unit_77@h...> wrote:
                                                > ABOVE 89?????...I never collect above 80 these days....the few
                                                times I
                                                > did,the volume wasnt worth the effort(maybe 250ml between 80 and
                                                water) and
                                                > was nasty to boot...:>)....on my final-run-still,when the temp
                                                gets to appx
                                                > 80,there isnt sufficient heat to drive it much higher
                                                anyways,usually the
                                                > temp falls back a bit...if I turn the heat up,it increases
                                                rapidly,telling
                                                > me the ethanol is gone and thats all I wanted to collect...:>)

                                                They sound like 'pot still' working temps to me. Not everyone uses
                                                reflux. ;-)

                                              • Levi Langershank
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 9, 2004
                                                  ...true...thanks for the 'heads-up'...:>)

                                                  >They sound like 'pot still' working temps to me. Not everyone uses
                                                  >reflux. ;-)
                                                  >

                                                  >Slainte!
                                                  >regards Harry

                                                • Rana Pipiens
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 10, 2004
                                                    Thanks alot Harry. Does anyone have experience with both the Z Filter and the Gert Strand setup? Any reccomendations on either? R

                                                    Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                                                    wrote:
                                                    > I guess that I'll finally ask; what is a z filter and where could
                                                    they be purchased in the US? I've seen the ones sold by
                                                    Brewhaus,U.S.A. Is that the same thing? Rana

                                                    Download this file for a good description...
                                                    http://www.stillspirits.com/webfiles/StillSpirits/files/5_litre_Pot_S
                                                    till_&_z_filter.pdf

                                                    Same link in TinyURL...

                                                    http://tinyurl.com/7y3xt

                                                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                                  • GWN
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 10, 2004
                                                      Ouch!!

                                                      :)

                                                      <unit_77@h...> wrote:
                                                      > ...true...thanks for the 'heads-up'...:>)
                                                      >

                                                      > >They sound like 'pot still' working temps to me. Not everyone
                                                      uses
                                                      > >reflux. ;-)
                                                      > >

                                                      > >Slainte!
                                                      > >regards Harry

                                                    • Levi Langershank
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 10, 2004
                                                        ...something bite your butt???....:>)

                                                        >From: "GWN" <GrtWhiteNorth56@...>
                                                        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                                        >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Polishing spirit
                                                        >Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:03:16 -0000
                                                        >

                                                        >Ouch!!
                                                        >
                                                        >:)

                                                      • David
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 11, 2004
                                                          Thanks for that info, Harry, You just answered some of my questions,,,Dave