Hello yttrium_nitrate.

  • swamp_donkey686
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8 3:07 PM
      Thanks for the help guys! Yttirum, Are you telling me that you
      believe the mash that I converted with enzymes before adding it to
      the wash that contained the 4.5kg's had no influence in taking up the
      slack where the amount of sugar was lacking? If so, I guess I don't
      understand your question

      Swamp

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate"
      <incatare@h...> wrote:
      > Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
      > wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming
      20%
      > ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off
      4.5kg
      > of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
      > about 11%.
      >
      > <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
      > > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still
      quite
      > > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the
      past. I
      > > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
      feed
      > > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
      planned
      > > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there
      with
      > > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
      > > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
      > > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would
      just
      > > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
      still
      > > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains.
      > > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
      FIRST
      > > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three
      and
      > > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
      > >
      > > Swamp Donkey
    • yttrium_nitrate
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9 12:48 PM
        I'm sure the malted grain helped a bit, but I just don't believe that
        you added enough grain to make a 20% wash. To pick up the slack of
        between the 11% from the sugar, and the 20% you stated, you would need
        to add around 16 pounds(7kg) of dry grain assuming the grain was 50%
        sugar. Perhaps your handfuls are large.