Re: Something that worked. Kind of, I guess

  • yttrium_nitrate
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
      Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
      wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming 20%
      ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off 4.5kg
      of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
      about 11%.

      <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
      > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
      > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past. I
      > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse feed
      > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had planned
      > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
      > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
      > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
      > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
      > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot still
      > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
      > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the FIRST
      > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
      > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
      >
      > Swamp Donkey
    • swamp_donkey686
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
        Thanks for the help guys! Yttirum, Are you telling me that you
        believe the mash that I converted with enzymes before adding it to
        the wash that contained the 4.5kg's had no influence in taking up the
        slack where the amount of sugar was lacking? If so, I guess I don't
        understand your question

        Swamp

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate"
        <incatare@h...> wrote:
        > Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
        > wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming
        20%
        > ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off
        4.5kg
        > of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
        > about 11%.
        >
        > <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
        > > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still
        quite
        > > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the
        past. I
        > > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
        feed
        > > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
        planned
        > > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there
        with
        > > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
        > > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
        > > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would
        just
        > > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
        still
        > > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains.
        > > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
        FIRST
        > > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three
        and
        > > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
        > >
        > > Swamp Donkey
      • yttrium_nitrate
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 2004
          I'm sure the malted grain helped a bit, but I just don't believe that
          you added enough grain to make a 20% wash. To pick up the slack of
          between the 11% from the sugar, and the 20% you stated, you would need
          to add around 16 pounds(7kg) of dry grain assuming the grain was 50%
          sugar. Perhaps your handfuls are large.