Re: [new_distillers] So, talk to me there 'crazycro2'

  • Scott Petrinec
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
      There are a few things you can do if you want to keep your %abv somewhat low. 1) dont use alot of sugar. 2)don't use turbos Don't forget, you will get a smaller yield if your%abv is low.
      I run mostly fruit brandies, and I prefer to use only fruit, water, and yeast and nutrients. Most of my fruit mashes only get to between 5-9% . T
      My personal preference is Red Star Champagne yeast. If you overpitch it(3-5 5gram satchets per 20liter wash)...it can work just like a turbo and get you 18% in les than 5 days. OR...you can use just one satchet to get you anywhere between 5-20%(depending on sugar content)

      swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@...> wrote:
      How is it that I am to go about keeping abv down to 8%? Do I need to
      get away from the turbos?

      Swamp

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec
      <crazycro2@y...> wrote:
      > It isn't always easy to get 20%.Usually it will all depend on
      nutrients and fermenting temperature. You are doing the right thing
      by running it throught the reflux and not the pot. Potstills are
      great for a grain mash if you only have it fermented to about 5-8%
      abv. But at 20% if you ran it through a pot, you wouldn't get a good
      flavor out of it anyway, so it is just better to run hight%abv washes
      though a reflux and low%abv through pots.

      > swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:Hey, this is something
      I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
      > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past.
      > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
      feed
      > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
      planned
      > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
      > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
      > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
      > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
      > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
      still
      > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
      > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
      FIRST
      > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
      > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
      >
      > Swamp Donkey

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • yttrium_nitrate
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
        Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
        wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming 20%
        ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off 4.5kg
        of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
        about 11%.

        <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
        > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
        > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past. I
        > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse feed
        > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had planned
        > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
        > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
        > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
        > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
        > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot still
        > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
        > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the FIRST
        > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
        > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
        >
        > Swamp Donkey
      • swamp_donkey686
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
          Thanks for the help guys! Yttirum, Are you telling me that you
          believe the mash that I converted with enzymes before adding it to
          the wash that contained the 4.5kg's had no influence in taking up the
          slack where the amount of sugar was lacking? If so, I guess I don't
          understand your question

          Swamp

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate"
          <incatare@h...> wrote:
          > Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
          > wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming
          20%
          > ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off
          4.5kg
          > of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
          > about 11%.
          >
          > <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
          > > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still
          quite
          > > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the
          past. I
          > > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
          feed
          > > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
          planned
          > > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there
          with
          > > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
          > > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
          > > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would
          just
          > > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
          still
          > > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains.
          > > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
          FIRST
          > > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three
          and
          > > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
          > >
          > > Swamp Donkey
        • yttrium_nitrate
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 2004
            I'm sure the malted grain helped a bit, but I just don't believe that
            you added enough grain to make a 20% wash. To pick up the slack of
            between the 11% from the sugar, and the 20% you stated, you would need
            to add around 16 pounds(7kg) of dry grain assuming the grain was 50%
            sugar. Perhaps your handfuls are large.

            > Thanks for the help guys! Yttirum, Are you telling me that you
            > believe the mash that I converted with enzymes before adding it to
            > the wash that contained the 4.5kg's had no influence in taking up the
            > slack where the amount of sugar was lacking? If so, I guess I don't
            > understand your question
            >
            > Swamp

            I recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse