So, talk to me there 'crazycro2'

  • swamp_donkey686
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7 10:57 PM
      How is it that I am to go about keeping abv down to 8%? Do I need to
      get away from the turbos?

      Swamp

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec
      <crazycro2@y...> wrote:
      > It isn't always easy to get 20%.Usually it will all depend on
      nutrients and fermenting temperature. You are doing the right thing
      by running it throught the reflux and not the pot. Potstills are
      great for a grain mash if you only have it fermented to about 5-8%
      abv. But at 20% if you ran it through a pot, you wouldn't get a good
      flavor out of it anyway, so it is just better to run hight%abv washes
      though a reflux and low%abv through pots.

      > swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:Hey, this is something
      I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
      > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past.
      > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
      feed
      > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
      planned
      > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
      > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
      > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
      > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
      > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
      still
      > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
      > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
      FIRST
      > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
      > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
      >
      > Swamp Donkey

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

    • closetdistiller
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8 12:52 AM
        Yep, no point using a turbo. Just use a dried beer yeast like safale
        or you could even use plain old bakers yeast. Or you could try the
        Whiskey yeast with AG from Prestige (I think it's prestige that make
        it, haven't tried it but Ian Smiley's Pure Corn Whiskey recommends
        it).

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "swamp_donkey686"

      • Scott Petrinec
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8 8:45 AM
          There are a few things you can do if you want to keep your %abv somewhat low. 1) dont use alot of sugar. 2)don't use turbos Don't forget, you will get a smaller yield if your%abv is low.
          I run mostly fruit brandies, and I prefer to use only fruit, water, and yeast and nutrients. Most of my fruit mashes only get to between 5-9% . T
          My personal preference is Red Star Champagne yeast. If you overpitch it(3-5 5gram satchets per 20liter wash)...it can work just like a turbo and get you 18% in les than 5 days. OR...you can use just one satchet to get you anywhere between 5-20%(depending on sugar content)

          <crazycro2@y...> wrote:
          > It isn't always easy to get 20%.Usually it will all depend on
          nutrients and fermenting temperature. You are doing the right thing
          by running it throught the reflux and not the pot. Potstills are
          great for a grain mash if you only have it fermented to about 5-8%
          abv. But at 20% if you ran it through a pot, you wouldn't get a good
          flavor out of it anyway, so it is just better to run hight%abv washes
          though a reflux and low%abv through pots.

          > swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:Hey, this is something
          I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
          > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past.
          > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
          feed
          > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
          planned
          > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
          > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
          > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
          > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
          > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
          still
          > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
          > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
          FIRST
          > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
          > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
          >
          > Swamp Donkey

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • yttrium_nitrate
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8 2:27 PM
            Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
            wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming 20%
            ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off 4.5kg
            of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
            about 11%.

            <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
            > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
            > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past. I
            > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse feed
            > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had planned
            > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
            > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
            > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
            > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
            > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot still
            > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
            > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the FIRST
            > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
            > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
            >
            > Swamp Donkey
          • swamp_donkey686
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8 3:07 PM
              Thanks for the help guys! Yttirum, Are you telling me that you
              believe the mash that I converted with enzymes before adding it to
              the wash that contained the 4.5kg's had no influence in taking up the
              slack where the amount of sugar was lacking? If so, I guess I don't
              understand your question

              Swamp

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate"
              <incatare@h...> wrote:
              > Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
              > wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming
              20%
              > ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off
              4.5kg
              > of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
              > about 11%.
              >
              > <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
              > > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still
              quite
              > > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the
              past. I
              > > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
              feed
              > > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
              planned
              > > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there
              with
              > > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
              > > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
              > > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would
              just
              > > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
              still
              > > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains.
              > > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
              FIRST
              > > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three
              and
              > > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
              > >
              > > Swamp Donkey
            • yttrium_nitrate
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9 12:48 PM
                I'm sure the malted grain helped a bit, but I just don't believe that
                you added enough grain to make a 20% wash. To pick up the slack of
                between the 11% from the sugar, and the 20% you stated, you would need
                to add around 16 pounds(7kg) of dry grain assuming the grain was 50%
                sugar. Perhaps your handfuls are large.

                > Thanks for the help guys! Yttirum, Are you telling me that you
                > believe the mash that I converted with enzymes before adding it to
                > the wash that contained the 4.5kg's had no influence in taking up the
                > slack where the amount of sugar was lacking? If so, I guess I don't
                > understand your question
                >
                > Swamp

                I recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse