Re: [new_distillers] Something that worked. Kind of, I guess

  • Scott Petrinec
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
      It isn't always easy to get 20%.Usually it will all depend on nutrients and fermenting temperature. You are doing the right thing by running it throught the reflux and not the pot. Potstills are great for a grain mash if you only have it fermented to about 5-8%abv. But at 20% if you ran it through a pot, you wouldn't get a good flavor out of it anyway, so it is just better to run hight%abv washes though a reflux and low%abv through pots.

      swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@...> wrote:Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
      new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past. I
      recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse feed
      to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had planned
      to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
      it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
      wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
      anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
      put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot still
      I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
      put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the FIRST
      TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
      strip it out and then run it through a reflux.

      Swamp Donkey

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • swamp_donkey686
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
        How is it that I am to go about keeping abv down to 8%? Do I need to
        get away from the turbos?

        Swamp

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec
        <crazycro2@y...> wrote:
        > It isn't always easy to get 20%.Usually it will all depend on
        nutrients and fermenting temperature. You are doing the right thing
        by running it throught the reflux and not the pot. Potstills are
        great for a grain mash if you only have it fermented to about 5-8%
        abv. But at 20% if you ran it through a pot, you wouldn't get a good
        flavor out of it anyway, so it is just better to run hight%abv washes
        though a reflux and low%abv through pots.

        > swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:Hey, this is something
        I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
        > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past.
        > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
        feed
        > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
        planned
        > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
        > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
        > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
        > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
        > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
        still
        > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
        > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
        FIRST
        > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
        > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
        >
        > Swamp Donkey

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

      • closetdistiller
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
          Yep, no point using a turbo. Just use a dried beer yeast like safale
          or you could even use plain old bakers yeast. Or you could try the
          Whiskey yeast with AG from Prestige (I think it's prestige that make
          it, haven't tried it but Ian Smiley's Pure Corn Whiskey recommends
          it).

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "swamp_donkey686"

        • Scott Petrinec
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
            There are a few things you can do if you want to keep your %abv somewhat low. 1) dont use alot of sugar. 2)don't use turbos Don't forget, you will get a smaller yield if your%abv is low.
            I run mostly fruit brandies, and I prefer to use only fruit, water, and yeast and nutrients. Most of my fruit mashes only get to between 5-9% . T
            My personal preference is Red Star Champagne yeast. If you overpitch it(3-5 5gram satchets per 20liter wash)...it can work just like a turbo and get you 18% in les than 5 days. OR...you can use just one satchet to get you anywhere between 5-20%(depending on sugar content)

            <crazycro2@y...> wrote:
            > It isn't always easy to get 20%.Usually it will all depend on
            nutrients and fermenting temperature. You are doing the right thing
            by running it throught the reflux and not the pot. Potstills are
            great for a grain mash if you only have it fermented to about 5-8%
            abv. But at 20% if you ran it through a pot, you wouldn't get a good
            flavor out of it anyway, so it is just better to run hight%abv washes
            though a reflux and low%abv through pots.

            > swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:Hey, this is something
            I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
            > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past.
            > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
            feed
            > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
            planned
            > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
            > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
            > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
            > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
            > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
            still
            > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
            > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
            FIRST
            > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
            > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
            >
            > Swamp Donkey

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • yttrium_nitrate
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
              Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
              wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming 20%
              ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off 4.5kg
              of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
              about 11%.

              <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
              > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
              > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past. I
              > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse feed
              > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had planned
              > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
              > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
              > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
              > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
              > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot still
              > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
              > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the FIRST
              > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
              > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
              >
              > Swamp Donkey
            • swamp_donkey686
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
                Thanks for the help guys! Yttirum, Are you telling me that you
                believe the mash that I converted with enzymes before adding it to
                the wash that contained the 4.5kg's had no influence in taking up the
                slack where the amount of sugar was lacking? If so, I guess I don't
                understand your question

                Swamp

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate"
                <incatare@h...> wrote:
                > Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
                > wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming
                20%
                > ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off
                4.5kg
                > of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
                > about 11%.
                >
                > <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
                > > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still
                quite
                > > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the
                past. I
                > > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
                feed
                > > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
                planned
                > > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there
                with
                > > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
                > > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
                > > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would
                just
                > > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
                still
                > > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains.
                > > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
                FIRST
                > > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three
                and
                > > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
                > >
                > > Swamp Donkey
              • yttrium_nitrate
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 9, 2004
                  I'm sure the malted grain helped a bit, but I just don't believe that
                  you added enough grain to make a 20% wash. To pick up the slack of
                  between the 11% from the sugar, and the 20% you stated, you would need
                  to add around 16 pounds(7kg) of dry grain assuming the grain was 50%
                  sugar. Perhaps your handfuls are large.