Something that worked. Kind of, I guess

  • swamp_donkey686
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7 5:05 PM
      Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
      new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past. I
      recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse feed
      to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had planned
      to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
      it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
      wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
      anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
      put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot still
      I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
      put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the FIRST
      TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
      strip it out and then run it through a reflux.

      Swamp Donkey
    • Scott Petrinec
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7 7:37 PM
        It isn't always easy to get 20%.Usually it will all depend on nutrients and fermenting temperature. You are doing the right thing by running it throught the reflux and not the pot. Potstills are great for a grain mash if you only have it fermented to about 5-8%abv. But at 20% if you ran it through a pot, you wouldn't get a good flavor out of it anyway, so it is just better to run hight%abv washes though a reflux and low%abv through pots.

        swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@...> wrote:Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
        new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past. I
        recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse feed
        to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had planned
        to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
        it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
        wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
        anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
        put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot still
        I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
        put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the FIRST
        TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
        strip it out and then run it through a reflux.

        Swamp Donkey

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • swamp_donkey686
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7 10:57 PM
          How is it that I am to go about keeping abv down to 8%? Do I need to
          get away from the turbos?

          Swamp

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec
          <crazycro2@y...> wrote:
          > It isn't always easy to get 20%.Usually it will all depend on
          nutrients and fermenting temperature. You are doing the right thing
          by running it throught the reflux and not the pot. Potstills are
          great for a grain mash if you only have it fermented to about 5-8%
          abv. But at 20% if you ran it through a pot, you wouldn't get a good
          flavor out of it anyway, so it is just better to run hight%abv washes
          though a reflux and low%abv through pots.

          > swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:Hey, this is something
          I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
          > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past.
          > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
          feed
          > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
          planned
          > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
          > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
          > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
          > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
          > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
          still
          > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
          > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
          FIRST
          > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
          > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
          >
          > Swamp Donkey

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

        • closetdistiller
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8 12:52 AM
            Yep, no point using a turbo. Just use a dried beer yeast like safale
            or you could even use plain old bakers yeast. Or you could try the
            Whiskey yeast with AG from Prestige (I think it's prestige that make
            it, haven't tried it but Ian Smiley's Pure Corn Whiskey recommends
            it).

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "swamp_donkey686"

          • Scott Petrinec
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8 8:45 AM
              There are a few things you can do if you want to keep your %abv somewhat low. 1) dont use alot of sugar. 2)don't use turbos Don't forget, you will get a smaller yield if your%abv is low.
              I run mostly fruit brandies, and I prefer to use only fruit, water, and yeast and nutrients. Most of my fruit mashes only get to between 5-9% . T
              My personal preference is Red Star Champagne yeast. If you overpitch it(3-5 5gram satchets per 20liter wash)...it can work just like a turbo and get you 18% in les than 5 days. OR...you can use just one satchet to get you anywhere between 5-20%(depending on sugar content)

              <crazycro2@y...> wrote:
              > It isn't always easy to get 20%.Usually it will all depend on
              nutrients and fermenting temperature. You are doing the right thing
              by running it throught the reflux and not the pot. Potstills are
              great for a grain mash if you only have it fermented to about 5-8%
              abv. But at 20% if you ran it through a pot, you wouldn't get a good
              flavor out of it anyway, so it is just better to run hight%abv washes
              though a reflux and low%abv through pots.

              > swamp_donkey686 <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:Hey, this is something
              I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
              > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past.
              > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
              feed
              > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
              planned
              > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
              > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
              > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
              > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
              > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
              still
              > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
              > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
              FIRST
              > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
              > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
              >
              > Swamp Donkey

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • yttrium_nitrate
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 8 2:27 PM
                Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
                wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming 20%
                ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off 4.5kg
                of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
                about 11%.

                <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
                > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still quite
                > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the past. I
                > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse feed
                > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had planned
                > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there with
                > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
                > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
                > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would just
                > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot still
                > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains. I
                > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the FIRST
                > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three and
                > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
                >
                > Swamp Donkey
              • swamp_donkey686
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 8 3:07 PM
                  Thanks for the help guys! Yttirum, Are you telling me that you
                  believe the mash that I converted with enzymes before adding it to
                  the wash that contained the 4.5kg's had no influence in taking up the
                  slack where the amount of sugar was lacking? If so, I guess I don't
                  understand your question

                  Swamp

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yttrium_nitrate"
                  <incatare@h...> wrote:
                  > Are you saying that you were able to 20% ethanol in the undistilled
                  > wash or 20% ethanol in the distilled product. If you are claiming
                  20%
                  > ethanol in the wash, you have made an error somewhere. Based off
                  4.5kg
                  > of sugar, the highest ethanol concentration in a 25L wash would be
                  > about 11%.
                  >
                  > <swamp_donkey686@y...> wrote:
                  > > Hey, this is something I tried that gave me good % I am still
                  quite
                  > > new at this and always have gone for a Neutral spirit in the
                  past. I
                  > > recently threw in about 10 handfuls of a crushed all grain horse
                  feed
                  > > to a 25 liter wash. I cut the sugar back to 4.5 kg and I had
                  planned
                  > > to run this through a pot still but I didn't stay right there
                  with
                  > > it, stirring during the mashing process (before I added it to the
                  > > wash) and I burnt it. I went ahead and put the mash into the wash
                  > > anyway , cooled it down and added my yeast. I figured I would
                  just
                  > > put it through my reflux after a good filtering and not the pot
                  still
                  > > I recently constructed because it did quite reek of burnt grains.
                  > > put a slower turbo in and it was over in five days. This is the
                  FIRST
                  > > TIME I EVER! got 20% EVER! I will let it settle a day or three
                  and
                  > > strip it out and then run it through a reflux.
                  > >
                  > > Swamp Donkey
                • yttrium_nitrate
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 9 12:48 PM
                    I'm sure the malted grain helped a bit, but I just don't believe that
                    you added enough grain to make a 20% wash. To pick up the slack of
                    between the 11% from the sugar, and the 20% you stated, you would need
                    to add around 16 pounds(7kg) of dry grain assuming the grain was 50%
                    sugar. Perhaps your handfuls are large.