Re: Commercial Requirements?

  • hoochmkr
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
      Like Nick Carbone stated, you need to go through the ATF, now the TTB.
      The process is pretty simple and depending on your regional contact,
      they are usually pretty helpful. Once you have the Basic Permit
      (federal) and your state license then you have to submit labels and
      formula for spirits. The label approval process, that can now be done
      online, goes pretty quickly. But, put aside 9 months to a year before
      you can expect your other licenses to come through. The TTB takes
      about 6-8 months and often states won't let you apply for the local
      license until you have the basic permit.

      One very nice thing is that the Basic Permit is the same for all folks
      in the alcoholic bev industry. Wine Importer, distributor, brewer,
      distiller. Once you have a Basic Permit for one of the classes, you
      simply need to request that another class be added to update the permit.

      Hope this is helpful.

      hooch

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Eli ( Not Really )"
      <eli_hoehandle@y...> wrote:
      > Hello, all. I am new here. Does anyone know where I can find info
      > on commercial requirements for starting a micro distillery in the
      > US. Virginia to be exact. Thanks.
    • Scott Petrinec
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
        Hooch wrote:
        "One very nice thing is that the Basic Permit is the same for all folks
        in the alcoholic bev industry. Wine Importer, distributor, brewer,
        distiller. Once you have a Basic Permit for one of the classes, you
        simply need to request that another class be added to update the permit."

        SCOTT WRITES:

        This is not all correct. Brewers, Wine importers and distillers have to follow different guidelines. It is not as easy as just "adding another class" to your permit. 1st)Different inspections of equipment,products,bottle types,etc,etc,etc have to take place before they just add another class. 2nd) They have to install a tamper-proof output meter on every still.(which also has to be inspected periodicly) 3rd) Storage and aging vessels have to be inspected and meet certain guidelines. 4th) A seperate area for storage and aging has to be set aside. 5th)Fire safety equipment has to be installed, tested etc,etc,etc... 6th) Property guidlines have to be met and blueprints have to be sent in before they will even begin the process of inspecting anything. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....ETC,ETC,ETC....

        It is not quite as easy as people will lead you to believe. Your best bet is to personaly speak to someone at TTB.

        Scott

        <eli_hoehandle@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, all. I am new here. Does anyone know where I can find info
        > on commercial requirements for starting a micro distillery in the
        > US. Virginia to be exact. Thanks.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT