Re: [new_distillers] Commercial Requirements?

  • Scott Petrinec
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
      check here...
      http://ttb.gov/alcohol/index.htm

      "Eli ( Not Really )" <eli_hoehandle@...> wrote:
      Hello, all. I am new here. Does anyone know where I can find info
      on commercial requirements for starting a micro distillery in the
      US. Virginia to be exact. Thanks.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • yttrium_nitrate
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
        Basiclly, you need to have a seperate non-residential building for
        distilling, file a surety bond, pay an annual fee to the US
        government, pay an annual fee to the state government, get your label
        approved, keep accurate records, and pay tax (around 11 dollars) for
        every gallon of 100 proof alcohol you make.

        > "Eli ( Not Really )" <eli_hoehandle@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, all. I am new here. Does anyone know where I can find info
        > on commercial requirements for starting a micro distillery in the
        > US. Virginia to be exact. Thanks.

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • hoochmkr
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
          Like Nick Carbone stated, you need to go through the ATF, now the TTB.
          The process is pretty simple and depending on your regional contact,
          they are usually pretty helpful. Once you have the Basic Permit
          (federal) and your state license then you have to submit labels and
          formula for spirits. The label approval process, that can now be done
          online, goes pretty quickly. But, put aside 9 months to a year before
          you can expect your other licenses to come through. The TTB takes
          about 6-8 months and often states won't let you apply for the local
          license until you have the basic permit.

          One very nice thing is that the Basic Permit is the same for all folks
          in the alcoholic bev industry. Wine Importer, distributor, brewer,
          distiller. Once you have a Basic Permit for one of the classes, you
          simply need to request that another class be added to update the permit.

          Hope this is helpful.

          hooch

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Eli ( Not Really )"
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
            Hooch wrote:
            "One very nice thing is that the Basic Permit is the same for all folks
            in the alcoholic bev industry. Wine Importer, distributor, brewer,
            distiller. Once you have a Basic Permit for one of the classes, you
            simply need to request that another class be added to update the permit."

            SCOTT WRITES:

            This is not all correct. Brewers, Wine importers and distillers have to follow different guidelines. It is not as easy as just "adding another class" to your permit. 1st)Different inspections of equipment,products,bottle types,etc,etc,etc have to take place before they just add another class. 2nd) They have to install a tamper-proof output meter on every still.(which also has to be inspected periodicly) 3rd) Storage and aging vessels have to be inspected and meet certain guidelines. 4th) A seperate area for storage and aging has to be set aside. 5th)Fire safety equipment has to be installed, tested etc,etc,etc... 6th) Property guidlines have to be met and blueprints have to be sent in before they will even begin the process of inspecting anything. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....ETC,ETC,ETC....

            It is not quite as easy as people will lead you to believe. Your best bet is to personaly speak to someone at TTB.

            Scott