Re: [new_distillers] Re: Where do I learn about corn?

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
      I would like to add my penny worth of advice. If you live in the city environment, like I do, I would recommend to think twice about all out germinating, malting, , mashing, drying and grinding. Though I am certainly not an expert, in my mind the final product is a solution of flavoring components in white alcohol is called bourbon. Pardon me if some people will get offended.

      This solution may be achieved by doing all the hoop-la with corn, as so many generations did before, or mix the flavoring agents with alcohol. The result theoretically should be the same. In reality there will be some differences. How much? It is you to decide if that subtle aroma is worth doing the labors. Old timers did it the hard way only because they did not have sugar, and if they did, it was infinitely more expensive compared to the abundance of corn. In the city it is different, quite the opposite.

      From practical point of view adding flavors and spicing components should do the trick. It is an art though to find the right combination of flavors and adding it to alcohol in right proportions. I am working on it and the results are overwhelming. You can get 99% "close to" results of a decent bourbon spending couple bucks in the supermarket. When ready I probably will publish the recipe.

      Why don�t you try adding some heartily toasted in the oven corn flakes first? Then take it from there.

      Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
      There are no warranties of any kind
      Act on your own risk and finally...
      I can be wrong I must say
      Cheers, Alex...

    • pguy40
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
        CD, thanks for the great pointers! I will order and read "Making Pure
        Grain Whiskey" before asking anymore questions- looking at the table
        of contents it looks like this book should just about cover it. OK,
        one question- I assume to make Vodka from corn I would use the same
        procedures- just distill at a higher % of alcohol?

        Thanks,
        PeterG

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "closetdistiller"
        <closetdistiller@y...> wrote:

        All kinds of great info....
      • pguy40
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
          Thanks Alex- all good info and you gave me much to consider.

          Drink up!
          PeterG

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

          A whole bunch of good info
        • closetdistiller
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
            Yep, if you run the still mentioned in the Corn Whiskey book, or if
            your using a reflux still you can get clean neutral alcohol from
            corn but just running with a high reflux ratio-or as you said
            collecting at a higher %. However, I think sugar is going to be a
            bit cheaper that using corn if your going to make vodka, but hey
            it's up to you. Have fun.

            CD