RE: [new_distillers] Commercial Requirements?

  • Nick Carbone
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
      Eli

      You need to go to http://www.ttb.gov/ which is the Tax and Trade Bureau
      (formerly the ATF) all the regulations are posted there and the forms
      for filing for a distilled spirits plant (DSP) and a basic permit (you
      will need both) The process once you file will take at least six
      months. You also need to check with Virginia because they like to tax
      you too so you will most likely have a state license to apply for as
      well.

      Good luck

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
        Hello, all. I am new here. Does anyone know where I can find info
        on commercial requirements for starting a micro distillery in the
        US. Virginia to be exact. Thanks.
      • Scott Petrinec
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
          check here...
          http://ttb.gov/alcohol/index.htm

          "Eli ( Not Really )" <eli_hoehandle@...> wrote:
          Hello, all. I am new here. Does anyone know where I can find info
          on commercial requirements for starting a micro distillery in the
          US. Virginia to be exact. Thanks.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • yttrium_nitrate
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
            Basiclly, you need to have a seperate non-residential building for
            distilling, file a surety bond, pay an annual fee to the US
            government, pay an annual fee to the state government, get your label
            approved, keep accurate records, and pay tax (around 11 dollars) for
            every gallon of 100 proof alcohol you make.

            > "Eli ( Not Really )" <eli_hoehandle@y...> wrote:
            > Hello, all. I am new here. Does anyone know where I can find info
            > on commercial requirements for starting a micro distillery in the
            > US. Virginia to be exact. Thanks.

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • hoochmkr
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
              Like Nick Carbone stated, you need to go through the ATF, now the TTB.
              The process is pretty simple and depending on your regional contact,
              they are usually pretty helpful. Once you have the Basic Permit
              (federal) and your state license then you have to submit labels and
              formula for spirits. The label approval process, that can now be done
              online, goes pretty quickly. But, put aside 9 months to a year before
              you can expect your other licenses to come through. The TTB takes
              about 6-8 months and often states won't let you apply for the local
              license until you have the basic permit.

              One very nice thing is that the Basic Permit is the same for all folks
              in the alcoholic bev industry. Wine Importer, distributor, brewer,
              distiller. Once you have a Basic Permit for one of the classes, you
              simply need to request that another class be added to update the permit.

              Hope this is helpful.

              hooch

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Eli ( Not Really )"
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2004
                Hooch wrote:
                "One very nice thing is that the Basic Permit is the same for all folks
                in the alcoholic bev industry. Wine Importer, distributor, brewer,
                distiller. Once you have a Basic Permit for one of the classes, you
                simply need to request that another class be added to update the permit."

                SCOTT WRITES:

                This is not all correct. Brewers, Wine importers and distillers have to follow different guidelines. It is not as easy as just "adding another class" to your permit. 1st)Different inspections of equipment,products,bottle types,etc,etc,etc have to take place before they just add another class. 2nd) They have to install a tamper-proof output meter on every still.(which also has to be inspected periodicly) 3rd) Storage and aging vessels have to be inspected and meet certain guidelines. 4th) A seperate area for storage and aging has to be set aside. 5th)Fire safety equipment has to be installed, tested etc,etc,etc... 6th) Property guidlines have to be met and blueprints have to be sent in before they will even begin the process of inspecting anything. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH....ETC,ETC,ETC....

                It is not quite as easy as people will lead you to believe. Your best bet is to personaly speak to someone at TTB.

                Scott