Re: [new_distillers] Re: How to find proof?

  • Austin Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
      No, an %ABV hydrometer is not the same as used in making beer. It measures a MUCH higher range of percentage. They are not expensive at all.

    • laz_e_pants
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
        -this is old school so bare with me, catch a table spoon of juice,
        lite a match bring it up to it slow, 190 proof will have no trouble
        lighting, do that when you first start notice how long it burns, it
        should burn less and less as your day goes on. If you cant lite the
        spoon with at least three matches you can assume that it is under
        100 proof. If it will not lite in the spoon, spread it out on a flat
        plate, if it will not burn than it is less than 75 proof. if it
        lites than it is between 100-75 proof. good luck

        ps: notice if there is a yellow beard on the flame, if so that is a
        good sign of inpurities in your hooch. which also causes headaches.

        -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hoochmkr" <hoochmkr@y...>
        wrote:
        > I'm whipping up a batch of Apricot Cha-cha. Last year's batch
        turned
        > out pretty good, but I didn't know how to find out or calculate
        what
        > proof it was when it came out of the still.
        >
        > I'm using a 4 ft. redux column on top of a beer keg for
        distillation.
        > As the column heated it went through and put off about 1/4 cup of
        > initial liquid (pretty skanky stuff that I'm guessing was an
        impurity
        > or maybe a bit of Methanol). As the top heated further, the
        ethanol
        > started to come out.
        >
        > Taste was clean (although I think that I'll pass it through
        charcoal
        > this year) but I still have no idea what % alchol it was. How can
        > test for this?
        >
        > 2nd question: I'm putting a thermometer at the top of the column
        this
        > time around. What is the temperature corresponds to ethanol?
      • Carter Cathey
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2004
          There are several different alcometers out there. I have one that is 1-100%
          and another that reads only 90-100% for greater accuracy.