Distilling cider??!

  • slacker75@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hi guys.
      The last few days, I've been running my still fot the 1st few
      times, and have predictably hit upon some teething troubles.
      Due to my eagernes to run the still, I couldn't wait to ferment
      some beer (besides, I dont have the equipment for that YET!) so I put
      some really cheap 7.5% cider through it (its only a 8L still)!!
      I probably rushed it a little, and should have waited for it to
      equilibriate longer, but when the acetone had passed, and the smell
      seemed to even out, the distillate still had a strange smell
      (bizzarly, it smelt a little like Remy Martain Congiac!?! kind of a
      sweet smell, but horrible!).
      Is this due to me rushing things, or it trying to distill cider a
      BAD idea? Do some of the smells/tastes come through?
      I'll run it again after i've fermented my own wash, and aquired
      some patience! :)

      -tone