How to find proof?

  • hoochmkr
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 2004
      I'm whipping up a batch of Apricot Cha-cha. Last year's batch turned
      out pretty good, but I didn't know how to find out or calculate what
      proof it was when it came out of the still.

      I'm using a 4 ft. redux column on top of a beer keg for distillation.
      As the column heated it went through and put off about 1/4 cup of
      initial liquid (pretty skanky stuff that I'm guessing was an impurity
      or maybe a bit of Methanol). As the top heated further, the ethanol
      started to come out.

      Taste was clean (although I think that I'll pass it through charcoal
      this year) but I still have no idea what % alchol it was. How can I
      test for this?

      2nd question: I'm putting a thermometer at the top of the column this
      time around. What is the temperature corresponds to ethanol?
    • Lebbo
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 29, 2004
        Question 1 -> alcometer (any home brew shop should have one)
        Question 2 -> I distill as close to and under 80C as possible. Try and
        use a digital one for great results.

        Some more experienced people maybe able to correct me on any of this,
        I'm pretty clueless.

        I'm whipping up a batch of Apricot Cha-cha. Last year's batch turned
        out pretty good, but I didn't know how to find out or calculate what
        proof it was when it came out of the still.

        I'm using a 4 ft. redux column on top of a beer keg for distillation.
        As the column heated it went through and put off about 1/4 cup of
        initial liquid (pretty skanky stuff that I'm guessing was an impurity
        or maybe a bit of Methanol). As the top heated further, the ethanol
        started to come out.

        Taste was clean (although I think that I'll pass it through charcoal
        this year) but I still have no idea what % alchol it was. How can I
        test for this?

        2nd question: I'm putting a thermometer at the top of the column this
        time around. What is the temperature corresponds to ethanol?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290c7bbb/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1091235372/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
        p://companion.yahoo.com> click here

        s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=518125681>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • closetdistiller
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 29, 2004
          Buy a spirit/alcohol hydrometer from a home brew shop. They are only
          about $10AUS, then you can just read the %ABV value straight off,
          otherwise the best you can do is guess but that really depends on
          your still and guessing is very difficult, otherwise there is no
          other way. If you have built a still exactly the same as other well
          known designs using their dimentions/power etc (eg. NS valved
          reflux) you can be pretty sure that it's 95% coming off. If you
          still is different then who knows. Buy a hydrometer.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hoochmkr" <hoochmkr@y...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2004
            Dumb question, is this the same thing as is used for making beer? I
            have one that shows potential alchol (difference before and after
            fermentation), specific gravity and % sugar by weight. Can I
            calculate %ABV from this?

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "closetdistiller"

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2004
              Great thanks!!
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lebbo" <bundy_rum98@h...> wrote:
              > Question 1 -> alcometer (any home brew shop should have one)
              > Question 2 -> I distill as close to and under 80C as possible. Try and
              > use a digital one for great results.
              >
              > Some more experienced people maybe able to correct me on any of this,
              > I'm pretty clueless.

            • closetdistiller
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29, 2004
                Alcometer! That's the name of it, I couldn't remember it before as I
                usually just call it my spirit hydrometer. They look exactly the
                same as a beer/wine one but are usually about half the size.
                Unfortunately, the beer/wine one will not serve a dual purpose here.

                Anyway, I reckon your on the right track to find what your looking
                for now. Good luck and happy hoochin. CD

                wrote:
                > Great thanks!!
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lebbo" <bundy_rum98@h...>
                wrote:
                > > Question 1 -> alcometer (any home brew shop should have one)
                > > Question 2 -> I distill as close to and under 80C as possible.
                Try and
                > > use a digital one for great results.
                > >
                > > Some more experienced people maybe able to correct me on any of
                this,
                > > I'm pretty clueless.

                subject=Unsubscribe>

              • Austin Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
                  No, an %ABV hydrometer is not the same as used in making beer. It measures a MUCH higher range of percentage. They are not expensive at all.

                • laz_e_pants
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
                    -this is old school so bare with me, catch a table spoon of juice,
                    lite a match bring it up to it slow, 190 proof will have no trouble
                    lighting, do that when you first start notice how long it burns, it
                    should burn less and less as your day goes on. If you cant lite the
                    spoon with at least three matches you can assume that it is under
                    100 proof. If it will not lite in the spoon, spread it out on a flat
                    plate, if it will not burn than it is less than 75 proof. if it
                    lites than it is between 100-75 proof. good luck

                    ps: notice if there is a yellow beard on the flame, if so that is a
                    good sign of inpurities in your hooch. which also causes headaches.

                    wrote:
                    > I'm whipping up a batch of Apricot Cha-cha. Last year's batch
                    turned
                    > out pretty good, but I didn't know how to find out or calculate
                    what
                    > proof it was when it came out of the still.
                    >
                    > I'm using a 4 ft. redux column on top of a beer keg for
                    distillation.
                    > As the column heated it went through and put off about 1/4 cup of
                    > initial liquid (pretty skanky stuff that I'm guessing was an
                    impurity
                    > or maybe a bit of Methanol). As the top heated further, the
                    ethanol
                    > started to come out.
                    >
                    > Taste was clean (although I think that I'll pass it through
                    charcoal
                    > this year) but I still have no idea what % alchol it was. How can
                    > test for this?
                    >
                    > 2nd question: I'm putting a thermometer at the top of the column
                    this
                    > time around. What is the temperature corresponds to ethanol?
                  • Carter Cathey
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2004
                      There are several different alcometers out there. I have one that is 1-100%
                      and another that reads only 90-100% for greater accuracy.