RE: [new_distillers] flavour

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2004
      > Just a quick Q. when I use my valved reflux still for Rum or any
      > flavoured mash it all tastes like vodca, very little flavour, even if
      > I add a lot of heads and or tails to it . It come out at 96%abv.
      > Tried running it faster with litte reflux but still 96% and very
      > little taste . Any comments Guys ?

      Try a lot less reflux, if not none ! Open up that collection valve fully - collect the spirit as fast as you can - it should drop right back to 50% or so if you let it. Remove some packing if you need to. Insulate the column so that you dont get any reflux forming on the side of the column due to ambient cooling. For a rum, you may keep all the heads in, and quite late into the tails, depending on taste.

      Tony