Re: [new_distillers] Quick Q about Thermometers

  • Dick
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3 2:58 AM
      In message <9pdfvl+djik@...>, slacker75@... writes
      > Hi,
      >   Just wondering... I have 2 12" long thermometers, and they both
      > read temps. within about a degree of each other for most of the
      > range, but when i put the bulbs in boiling water, one reads 99C, the
      > other 96C.  I would have expected them to be a 1 degree or so out,
      > but 96C?  Does it matter how much of the thermometer is exposed to
      > the air?  I know its the CONSISTENCY that matters, but this test
      > would seem to suggest that ONE of them ISN'T consistant.
      > (Incedentally, the one that read 96C was more expensive than the one
      > that reads 99C!)

      I've just had a similar problem, the 'old faithfull' thermometer (country
      of origin unknown, accuracy unknown !) readings were up to 4-5 deg
      different from the digital thermometer (battery flat ?). Solution - go out to the
      local lab equipment supplier and buy a thermometer of known provenance,
      in my case BS1704 (British Standard), known UK manufacturer & marked
      accuracy - brand new & unused cost me £2 from his obsolete stock shelf. If
      you suspect a thermometer I suggest changing it for one with at least some
      form of national standard mark on it, all lab standard thermometers I looked
      at were also marked up with a range, accuracy and required immersion (e.g.
      G.P.105C/1.0/Total).

      For absolute accuracy the amount you immerse a thermometer in
      hot liquid/vapour can also effect the reading (I'm not sure by how much & if
      this applies to all types of thermometer) - some thermometers have a line
      marked round them to indicate how far you push them in.

      If still not happy then you can buy thermometers with a calibration
      chart - but it'll cost you !!!!!! Hope the info is of some use.
      --
      Dick
      Fra' Auld Reekie
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4 8:18 AM
        Dick,

        > For absolute accuracy the amount you immerse a thermometer in
        > hot liquid/vapour can also effect the reading (I'm not sure by how
        > much & if this applies to all types of thermometer) - some
        > thermometers have a line marked round them to indicate how far you
        > push them in.

        The one that read 96C (Made in France) says 'Total Immersion',
        whereas the other (made in England) just says 'Immersion'. I'm
        currently testing my still, so if I find these two to be a problem,
        I'll take a leaf from your book and get a 'proper' one!

        -Tone