Turbo Extra Slow

  • closetdistiller
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2004
      Hi, just having a rant and telling my story as the posts are slow
      today. Any opinions on what I may have done wrong to make this
      fermentation so slow is appreciated.

      I pitched my first ever turbo yeast (Still Spirits Turbo Extra) for
      a sugar wash and my first still run and foray into homedistilling.
      My valved reflux still is built, cleaned, tested and ready to go. So
      anyway I added the entire amount of sugar at the start, which I now
      read in the archives is probably not the best way to do it, but
      anyway, I aerated well, fitted the airlock and have kept it at a
      steady 25-27C. Now that was over two weeks ago and it's still
      bubbling. The OG was 1130, it's now down to 1022 with a slow steady
      bubble. It's still going but hell, I'm tipping a fermentation time
      of 2.5, even 3 weeks.

      From what I read from others (and from what the packet claims and
      what I expected) is that this is a terrible performance in regards
      to the time taken to ferment out. The package claims 5-7 days @25C.

      I'd have to say that I'm relatively experience in yeast culturing
      and fermentation in general as I've been homebrewing with liquid
      yeasts for years, so I though this Turbo was going to be a walk in
      the park and it would be over in the advertised time. Anyway, I'm
      still waiting to have my first run and my first taste of product.

      Any ideas guys on why it's so slow. Temps been good, aerated well,
      only thing I can think of is chlorinated tap water.

      Cheers. CD

      Going to do another one tonight, hoping for a bit quicker ferment
      this time, it might even beat the one mentioned above.
    • pthoma_nz
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 2004
        If you login to the distillers site, and look at old polls, you will
        find that the average time polled for a turbo wash is two weeks.
        They never take less than a week... You just need to wait, they do
        get to 18-20% so its worth the additional time.... if you want quick
        turn over go for a 8 but you'll get bugger all abv and it still
        takes a week...

        PS just buy another fermenter...

        peet
      • closetdistiller
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2004
          He he, I already have 5 fermenters. I fired up a straight Turbo last
          night and it was bubbling and frothing like crazy inside 2 hours of
          pitching. I'm a little worried it's going to blow over ;). My Turbo
          extra never fired up like this so maybe it was old or something, or
          poorly stored. Anyway, both are going but thanks for the feed back.

          Still paitently waiting.

          Cheers, CD

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...>
          wrote:
          > If you login to the distillers site, and look at old polls, you
          will
          > find that the average time polled for a turbo wash is two weeks.
          > They never take less than a week... You just need to wait, they do
          > get to 18-20% so its worth the additional time.... if you want
          quick
          > turn over go for a 8 but you'll get bugger all abv and it still
          > takes a week...
          >
          > PS just buy another fermenter...
          >
          > peet
        • Joseph Schutz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 23, 2004
            I also just tried Turbo Extra and it is going to take about 2 weeks
            to complete. The yeast is just now staring to flocculate.

            Has anyone ever thought of using the wash to make drinks directly. At
            20% alcohol, it would be mixed with fruit juice directly to get a
            favorable alcohol level. (I am assuming I kill off the yeast first.)

            Is there anything in the Turbo Yeast package that would be bad for a
            person?

            Joe

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "closetdistiller"
            <closetdistiller@y...> wrote:
            > He he, I already have 5 fermenters. I fired up a straight Turbo
            last
            > night and it was bubbling and frothing like crazy inside 2 hours of
            > pitching. I'm a little worried it's going to blow over ;). My Turbo
            > extra never fired up like this so maybe it was old or something, or
            > poorly stored. Anyway, both are going but thanks for the feed back.
            >
            > Still paitently waiting.
            >
            > Cheers, CD
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > If you login to the distillers site, and look at old polls, you
            > will
            > > find that the average time polled for a turbo wash is two weeks.
            > > They never take less than a week... You just need to wait, they
            do
            > > get to 18-20% so its worth the additional time.... if you want
            > quick
            > > turn over go for a 8 but you'll get bugger all abv and it still
            > > takes a week...
            > >
            > > PS just buy another fermenter...
            > >
            > > peet
          • Brewhaus
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 23, 2004
              Hi Joe,

              Although I am not familiar with Turbo Extra specifically, the general
              composition of each turbo yeast is relatively similar. A few years ago, I
              developed the European Connection Liqueur Kit for this purpose, so that a
              wine or beer maker could make liqueurs without having to distill. It works
              great with liqueur essences (where the usual abv is lower), and as you
              suggested, fruit juice, etc. However, you will want to stabilize, use a
              good quality activated carbon hit, and also clear the fermented liquor. I
              would also suggest keeping the fermentation temperature on the low side so
              that you can really push the limits of the yeast's alcohol tolerance.

              Rick

              Brewhaus (America) Inc.
              Keller, TX 76248
              (817) 271-8041

              check us out on the web: www.brewhaus.com

              <closetdistiller@y...> wrote:
              > He he, I already have 5 fermenters. I fired up a straight Turbo
              last
              > night and it was bubbling and frothing like crazy inside 2 hours of
              > pitching. I'm a little worried it's going to blow over ;). My Turbo
              > extra never fired up like this so maybe it was old or something, or
              > poorly stored. Anyway, both are going but thanks for the feed back.
              >
              > Still paitently waiting.
              >
              > Cheers, CD
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > If you login to the distillers site, and look at old polls, you
              > will
              > > find that the average time polled for a turbo wash is two weeks.
              > > They never take less than a week... You just need to wait, they
              do
              > > get to 18-20% so its worth the additional time.... if you want
              > quick
              > > turn over go for a 8 but you'll get bugger all abv and it still
              > > takes a week...
              > >
              > > PS just buy another fermenter...
              > >
              > > peet

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Joseph Schutz
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 27, 2004
                First thanks for the answer. I do not want to distill, since I it is
                not legal where I live.

                However it is encouraging to hear you say you thought of the same
                thing.

                I have several follow up questions:

                1. When you say the ferment at a low temperature, what is the upper
                limit?

                2. Is it safe to assume that there is nothing in the yeast that would
                either taste funny or be harmful to humans?

                3. What do you use for clearing the wash?

                4. How do you recommend using filtering?

                Thanks. Joe

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brewhaus" <rmorris@b...>