Re: Right angle ¼” Needle Valves to a 2" copper cap

  • hal031235@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
      --- In new_distillers@y..., hydrografix@y... wrote:
      > I am currently building a valved reflux still and have some
      > problems sourcing suitable needle valves in the UK and then
      > fitting right angle ¼" Needle Valves to a 2" copper cap
      > so they are flush with the inside of the cap and the outlet to go
      > 8mm copper pipe.
      > Please does anyone have any ideas
      >
      > Thanks in Advance
      >
      > Bill
      Hi Bill
      I am in the UK and although I chose a design in the end that didn't
      use needle valves (as yet untested!) I did find a company who sold
      them. Go to http://www.rswww.com , they sell imperial size valves,
      but if you want to fit imperial to metric pipe, a little bit of emery
      paper should fix the problem. They have a whole load of valves for
      pneumatic systems, just put in "Needle valve" in the quick search
      section.

      regards
      Ron
    • Dick
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2001
        In message <9pdb98+1v4n@...>, hydrografix@... writes
        > I am currently building a valved reflux still and have some
        > problems sourcing suitable needle valves in the UK and then
        > fitting right angle ¼" Needle Valves to a 2" copper cap
        > so they are flush with the inside of the cap and the outlet to go to
        > 8mm copper pipe.
        > Please does anyone have any ideas
        Hi Bill,
        Don't know if it'll work in your set up but I'm using a foot mounted
        needle valve (Radiospares # 262-0713) mounted below the horizontal leg of
        a Nixon-Stone condenser head. The needle valve is connected to a ¼"
        BSP male - male stud coupling (RS # 234-8821) mounted in the bottom of
        this leg via a short length (1½") of ¼" OD copper tube. I cut a wide slot
        across the end of the stud coupling inside the horizontal leg, the bottom of
        this slot being flush with the inside surface of the tube & orientated fore & aft
        before being soldered in place. Reason - to ensure that the condensed
        distillate flows over the reflux outlet rather than round it. If you've not been
        there RS have an excellent web site & you can order items on-line from it.
        Hope info is of use.
        --
        Dick
        Fra' Auld Reekie