How long can I leave my "Wash"

  • hal031235@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
      Hi

      I've just started my first wash using 10Kg cane sugar and baker's
      yeast in 50 litres of water. I have a beer heating pad and its going
      great, bubbling away nicely. From the instructions I have been using,
      it will take 5 days to completely ferment, which is Friday. Problem
      is that I have to go away unexpectedly on Saturday for a week and
      won't have time to distill it.

      Can I distill early, ie before it has finished fermenting completely?

      Or can I leave it a week in the bin? If I leave it, should I stop
      heating the wash and / or stop the recirculating pump?

      thanks
      Ron
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
        Ron,

        > Can I distill early, ie before it has finished fermenting completely?
        >
        > Or can I leave it a week in the bin? If I leave it, should I stop
        > heating the wash and / or stop the recirculating pump?

        either option is valid. Its a little riskier distilling earlier, as any
        unfermented sugar may caramalise on the heating element (smell, need more
        cleaning), and it will tend to froth up heaps more while its boiling. And
        there's less alcohol as you haven't made it all yet.

        The best option though is just to leave it in the fermentor, under its
        airlock. I've had one sitting around for about 3 weeks now. If its just
        about finished, then turn off the heater & pump, and it will slowly
        complete over the following week. The extended wait will also mean that it
        will settle out really well, and you'll be left with a clear wash to
        distill. The main thing to do is to ensure that you won't get any air
        sneaking into it while its sitting - eg don't take the lid off it, and make
        sure that the airlock has enough water in it. To help me watch the
        progress of mine, without having to take the lid off, I leave the
        hydrometer floating in it. The lid is clear - so shining a torch through
        the lid lets me read the specific gravity at any time.

        Tony
      • klcampbell
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
          Ron, just turn everything off before you leave and you should have a lovely
          clear wash to strip when you come home,providing you are using a
          fermentation lock and a good sealing lid on your fermenter,Regards,Ken.