Re: New to Distilling, In the portland, OR area

  • stillyaakman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 12, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "phlippancy" <doieo@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hey, I am just wanting to get started, and have been trying to do
      as
      > much research as possible before getting started, but besides
      > reading about it and the formulas, I find that I can better
      > understand if I get to see it/ do it first hand. Was hoping to find
      > someone close to my area that I can learn a few tricks from.

      As a Northwesterner who was living in Sandpoint Id. in the
      early '90s. I had the opertunity of dining at an establishment in
      Bonners ferry Id. at the same time several ATF agents were. This
      happened at the time of the 'Randy Weaver seige'. These "gentelmen"
      were identified by their uniform jackets which had ATF In reflective
      letters about 8" high on their backs. It was the only way you would
      have known them. they were dressed in what any of the other
      mountainers that live in the area would have been wearing, Jeans and
      flanel shirts. Their hair was long or not. They had beards and
      mustaches, or not and in general they appeared like any citizen you
      might bump into at the bar or fishing or skiing or any persuit you
      may choose.
      It really made me think about the sanity of trusting my fellow
      americans. I have read many cases where a person makes a friend and
      after several years of gaining trust and participating in illeagel
      activity together they and all their friends are busted.
      I don't doubt your harmlessness but my goverment has taught me
      caution.
      It's not an easy stance to take either. I think it is a natural urge
      to share knowlege and commeraderie with those with similar interests.
      However I guess I'll stay lonely and free.
      A fellow Portlander
    • Austin Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2004
        Amen. I come from an area where moonshine (actually red whiskey) was very common. When my school friends' grandfather went to federal prison because a jealous neighbor turned him in, I got religion, and never lost it. Any one outside of the U.S. has no bona fides when commenting on what can happen when you get on the wrong side of the ATF.

      • pfcslr
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 13, 2004
          I too can attest to having seen what the feds can do to people who
          mind their own business, avoid minors, and practice alternative
          hobbies. As sad a statement as it may be it really is safer to bump
          around in the dark for a few years than hit the lights and get
          squashed like a roach! I hate hiding and being paranoid but we truly
          do live in a fashist state; and if you want the gastapo to spare you
          learn to either make wine or home brew and then simply add a still
          head to your brew kettle and boil your wine or beer instead of
          bottling it. :)

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith" <asmith1@b...>