Re: Column Packing

  • hydrografix@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      Thanks for your advice not being a chemical engineering expert at one
      time I was considering a mixture of both SS scrubbers and marbles but
      from your comments I will initially try the scrubbers.

      Thanks Once Again & Best Regards

      Bill

      --- In new_distillers@y..., css1@h... wrote:
      > --- In new_distillers@y..., hydrografix@y... wrote:
      > > Hello All
      > >
      > > Just new to the game and trying to figure out which is the better
      > > column packing marble or SS pot scrubbers? Any info is greatly
      > > appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks in Advance
      > >
      > > Bill
      >
      > Hi Bill and welcome,
      > I tried marbles first in my 15ltr still that has a 2" tower
      > and found that with marbles the tower would flood and there
      > was a build up of liquid above the marbles that was not
      > running back down the tower.I changed to scrubbers and this
      > problem was fixed.The still now puts out about 92% average
      > no problems.Hope this helps.
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        Bill

        > > > Just new to the game and trying to figure out which is the better
        > > > column packing marble or SS pot scrubbers? Any info is greatly
        > > > appreciated.

        See http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm

        Marbles offer about 50 square meters of surface area per cubic meter.
        Scrubbers on the other hand are more like 800-1200 m2/m3. By offering so
        much more surface area, the scrubbers give the liquid & vapour more chance
        to interact & swap their water-alcohol

        Also, marbles, being spheres, take up about 62% of the volume they occupy.
        This doesn't leave a lot of room for the vapour & liquid to get past. The
        scrubbers on the otherhand probably only take up about 5% of the area.
        This means that for the same diameter pipe, you'll be able to run the
        scrubbers with a much higher heat input (eg heaps more vapour) (the marbles
        will just cause the column to "flood")

        Combine these two factors together, and the scrubbers will give a far
        better performance than marbles. Scrubbers can achieve in 12cm of packing
        what it takes marbles approx 35cm to do. Eg a 1m column packed with
        marbles will only do the equivalent of 3+1 distillations, but with
        scrubbers 8+1

        Tony