can i ferment in stainless

  • laz_e_pants
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
      i read somewhere when fermenting not to let the mash come in contact
      with any metal. is this true for stainless steel. i have a stainless
      vat. it will hold about 50 gal. and this is what i would like to use
      to do my fermenting in. any info would help thanks
    • grayson_stewart66
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
        Stainless is fine for fermenting...perhaps even prefered by some.
      • Bill Schwocho
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
          Ferment in stainless? Kinda like,It's been bottled for
          12 years so it must be aged 12 years.
          don't quite sound right now does it? As for being in
          contact with stainless not sure. Me personaly I'd age
          in a old oak barrel thats been lightly toasted inside.
          Enjoy the hobby

          --- laz_e_pants <kipw31@...> wrote:
          > i read somewhere when fermenting not to let the mash
          > come in contact
          > with any metal. is this true for stainless steel. i
          > have a stainless
          > vat. it will hold about 50 gal. and this is what i
          > would like to use
          > to do my fermenting in. any info would help thanks

          > FAQ and other information available at
          > http://homedistiller.org
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          =====

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • yttrium_nitrate
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2004
            I may be wrong on this matter, but I believe that most large scale
            commercial beer fermentation is done in stainless steel containers.
            Most beer is transported in some kind of metal as well, be it in
            cans or kegs.

            > Ferment in stainless? Kinda like,It's been bottled for
            > 12 years so it must be aged 12 years.
            > don't quite sound right now does it? As for being in
            > contact with stainless not sure. Me personaly I'd age
            > in a old oak barrel thats been lightly toasted inside.
            > Enjoy the hobby
            >
            > --- laz_e_pants <kipw31@y...> wrote:
            > > i read somewhere when fermenting not to let the mash
            > > come in contact
            > > with any metal. is this true for stainless steel. i
            > > have a stainless
            > > vat. it will hold about 50 gal. and this is what i
            > > would like to use
            > > to do my fermenting in. any info would help thanks
          • boilerbaz
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9, 2004
              I've been fermenting my sugar washes is a stainless 50 litre beer keg
              for the last twelve months. I'm really happy with it, had no
              problems, cleans up nice and does not scratch like PP brew bins.

              Regards,

              Baz.
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "laz_e_pants" <kipw31@y...>