RE: [new_distillers] Having fun with the moon shine

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2000
      >does the Yeast you use effect the % of
      >alcohol that you get.

      Yes it will, the higher % you start with, the higher % you will end with.

      You can see this with a wee Applet (interactive graph) I have at
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/theory.htm (about halfway down the
      page).

      For a still with 3 "ideal" plates (about what your reflux sounds to be
      giving), a 10% wash will distill out to about 87.5%, whereas a 15% wash
      (say a turbo) will go to 88.6%, and a 20% wash to 89.0%.

      Its not quite so pronounced with better stills, as the increment is so
      small up the top end, however it would be quite noticeable with poorly
      designed reflux stills or pot still.

      Tony
    • Andy & Shirley Santos
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2000
        Thank you Tony, for answering my question.  My husband wanted to know why I was buying the more expensive yeast. I am using Turbo Yeast extra by Still Spirits. it seems to "cook"faster and stops fermenting in four to five days. We had one batch fail with the other yeast we used, could have been something we did of course. Any way thanks a lot for the answer. We are in Whitianga
        Shirl