Be kind, I'm a newie...

  • Christopher Bedwell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
      Hey guys, Just wanted to introduce myself and say 'Hi'

      I'm from Perth, Western Australia.

      Interested in refining alcohol for multiple purposes -
      santisation of my beer fermentors, brewing gear - and
      running my Farm AG M/bike on..

      - Chris.

      =====
    • dark_taet
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
        Hey Chris, man what a waste :-)

        I use the heads as a cleaning product and its pretty darn good, i
        was reading somewhere that apparently it destroy's the walls of
        cells ie bacteria etc..

        But to pour into your bike what can become the most awesome beverage
        well....

        Plenty of aussies on the list as well, just look for the G'days

        Check out Tony's site, enough info to keep you REALLY busy for
        awhile.

        http://homedistiller.org/

        Oh and welcome aboard

        Matt

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Bedwell
        <eukanubaau@y...> wrote:
        > Hey guys, Just wanted to introduce myself and say 'Hi'
        >
        > I'm from Perth, Western Australia.
        >
        > Interested in refining alcohol for multiple purposes -
        > santisation of my beer fermentors, brewing gear - and
        > running my Farm AG M/bike on..
        >
        > - Chris.
        >
        > =====
      • myarcadegames.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
          Ok, well maybe there is a little consumption planned there too.. :)

          I'd be lying if I said there wasnt - but I'd love a cheaper way to get stuff done around the house.. and bad beer's are great for practice :)

          Does anyone have an old still they want to sell ? so I can get my bearings before building something ?

          - Chris.

          <eukanubaau@y...> wrote:
          > Hey guys, Just wanted to introduce myself and say 'Hi'
          >
          > I'm from Perth, Western Australia.
          >
          > Interested in refining alcohol for multiple purposes -
          > santisation of my beer fermentors, brewing gear - and
          > running my Farm AG M/bike on..
          >
          > - Chris.
          >
          > =====

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
            HI Chris,
            Also a Perth boy. Unfortunately I threw out my old still when I got my
            PDA or you could have had it. No boiler of course.
            Anyway, Good luck and the only advice I can give is read lots about the
            subject before you set out to buy anything so you know what you are
            looking for. Especially stuff sold from brew shops as a lot of it is
            just OK. Not excellent.
            Good luck mate,
            Leigh.
          • myarcadegames.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
              I've been looking at the whole " Build it and save " option... after reading HEAPS - ( over the last 2 or so years ) I've decided to build one..

              I did the ring around - and at 5L costing around $260+... I'm pretty sure that for $200- I can build something pretty "Whacko" that's gonna do the trick.. ( 25L was just a SS pail with a locking lid - and a heater element $320- ) with a " Super Reflux head " -WOW- ! ( not ! ) /sarcasm

              Got the designs, and have a rough design for one I want to build.. mainly concentrating my effort on the condenser core, jacket and the column body..

              If I just top out a 50L keg - is this going to be excessive as far as volume goes ? I dont want to have multiple still's sitting around collecting dust - I'd prefer to just build one.. and stick with it..
              And SWMBO will get right upset when she finds out what my latest 'Hairbrained-scheme' is.. :)
              I've been hunting down an old SS water urn - there dont seem to be that many floating around - and buying new will freak me out if I stuffed it..

              Where do you guys recommend getting copper pipe ? should I be looking for any particular type ? I have heard of 'annealed' and a couple of other types...
              Also, for bending right angles and getting elbows happening - how do you do it without creasing the pipe ?

              What packing do you guys recommend for the column body ? I've seen glass - beads - steel and copper scrubby's used.. some wisdom from the knowledgeable is appreciated....

              I was considering gas vs electric - gas is easy, but possibly dangerous.. using this in my workshed could cause carbon monoxide issues.. and I've been told you need to consider it like " Boiling petrol on the stove " - so with that in mind - maybe electric's the option ? gas could get costly - burning for hours on end.. the bottle will bleed out in no time..

              And again, thanks guys for being so helpful ! I've learnt more here in a couple days than reading and asking everyone over the last 2-3 years..

              - Chris.

              "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh" <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@...> wrote:
              HI Chris,
              Also a Perth boy. Unfortunately I threw out my old still when I got my
              PDA or you could have had it. No boiler of course.
              Anyway, Good luck and the only advice I can give is read lots about the
              subject before you set out to buy anything so you know what you are
              looking for. Especially stuff sold from brew shops as a lot of it is
              just OK. Not excellent.
              Good luck mate,
              Leigh.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT