Re: Column Packing

  • css1@hotkey.net.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2001
      --- In new_distillers@y..., hydrografix@y... wrote:
      > Hello All
      >
      > Just new to the game and trying to figure out which is the better
      > column packing marble or SS pot scrubbers? Any info is greatly
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks in Advance
      >
      > Bill

      Hi Bill and welcome,
      I tried marbles first in my 15ltr still that has a 2" tower
      and found that with marbles the tower would flood and there
      was a build up of liquid above the marbles that was not
      running back down the tower.I changed to scrubbers and this
      problem was fixed.The still now puts out about 92% average
      no problems.Hope this helps.
    • hydrografix@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        Thanks for your advice not being a chemical engineering expert at one
        time I was considering a mixture of both SS scrubbers and marbles but
        from your comments I will initially try the scrubbers.

        Thanks Once Again & Best Regards

        Bill

        --- In new_distillers@y..., css1@h... wrote:
        > --- In new_distillers@y..., hydrografix@y... wrote:
        > > Hello All
        > >
        > > Just new to the game and trying to figure out which is the better
        > > column packing marble or SS pot scrubbers? Any info is greatly
        > > appreciated.
        > >
        > > Thanks in Advance
        > >
        > > Bill
        >
        > Hi Bill and welcome,
        > I tried marbles first in my 15ltr still that has a 2" tower
        > and found that with marbles the tower would flood and there
        > was a build up of liquid above the marbles that was not
        > running back down the tower.I changed to scrubbers and this
        > problem was fixed.The still now puts out about 92% average
        > no problems.Hope this helps.
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
          Bill

          > > > Just new to the game and trying to figure out which is the better
          > > > column packing marble or SS pot scrubbers? Any info is greatly
          > > > appreciated.

          See http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm

          Marbles offer about 50 square meters of surface area per cubic meter.
          Scrubbers on the other hand are more like 800-1200 m2/m3. By offering so
          much more surface area, the scrubbers give the liquid & vapour more chance
          to interact & swap their water-alcohol

          Also, marbles, being spheres, take up about 62% of the volume they occupy.
          This doesn't leave a lot of room for the vapour & liquid to get past. The
          scrubbers on the otherhand probably only take up about 5% of the area.
          This means that for the same diameter pipe, you'll be able to run the
          scrubbers with a much higher heat input (eg heaps more vapour) (the marbles
          will just cause the column to "flood")

          Combine these two factors together, and the scrubbers will give a far
          better performance than marbles. Scrubbers can achieve in 12cm of packing
          what it takes marbles approx 35cm to do. Eg a 1m column packed with
          marbles will only do the equivalent of 3+1 distillations, but with
          scrubbers 8+1

          Tony