confused on brandy's

  • laz_e_pants
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
      i was under the impression that if you ferment fruits that it was
      considered brandy , and say if it was corn or other plant matter it
      was likker. is this correct? i fermented 25 gal of peaches and run
      thru a pot still twice. it was my first time it turn out rite good.
      was that considered peach brandy? my brother claims that it doesn't
      matter what i ferment that it is going to come out the same. is this
      correct? or will i get the flavors from what ever i ferment.
    • John Wisbey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
        Correct, you made peach brandy. They do not all turn out the same. In Europe many different types of brandy are made. Cherries, or Kirsch. Mirabelle or plum, Williams, pear williams. The list goes on and on. Super, it takes years to go through the list production wise.
        Ciao for now
        John Wisbey
        i was under the impression that if you ferment fruits that it was
        considered brandy , and say if it was corn or other plant matter it
        was likker. is this correct? i fermented 25 gal of peaches and run
        thru a pot still twice. it was my first time it turn out rite good.
        was that considered peach brandy? my brother claims that it doesn't
        matter what i ferment that it is going to come out the same. is this
        correct? or will i get the flavors from what ever i ferment.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • david chadwick
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
          If you use a reflux tower ( compound still ) you will only collect ethanol- clear, colorless.
          If you de-flux your still, i.e., remove the packing, then you have converted your still to a simple pot still. THEN you will have brandy ( of what ever fruit ) . True "brandy" is from grapes only, any other brandy title is to be accompanied with the friut from which it was derived. Example: Blackberry Brandy.

          laz_e_pants <kipw31@...> wrote:
          i was under the impression that if you ferment fruits that it was
          considered brandy , and say if it was corn or other plant matter it
          was likker. is this correct? i fermented 25 gal of peaches and run
          thru a pot still twice. it was my first time it turn out rite good.
          was that considered peach brandy? my brother claims that it doesn't
          matter what i ferment that it is going to come out the same. is this
          correct? or will i get the flavors from what ever i ferment.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT