  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2004
      Hi group....just made my third run with alcotech 48 hr turbo at 5 days as
      per inst. Internal reflux rig with cooling mods (all valved with lower
      reflux tube shut off) am using propane turkey frier (16 gal beer keg fits
      perfect). Added 1 tsp salt to sugar wash in the boiler after ferm. Temp
      hit 79 degrees and held until end of run. Collected in pint bottles
      numbered so I could keep track of the good stuff, but I have trouble
      smelling or tasting the off's everyone talks about. I can tell faintly a
      difference, but not enough to keep me from drinking it, after tossing the
      first 100 ml, or almost half pint, in plain terms. I kept the last pint as
      tails anyway, to add to next batch...I am not a purist, and simply add
      product (92-93%abv) to coke and bottoms up...it works well... I use
      quarters as boiling chips but recently found out these are clad in nickel,
      not silver.......any problems with this? Am considering adding a second
      reflux cooling tube to the top of the tower, as I cannot achieve total
      reflux with just the one tube, and if I use the lower tube, I understand
      that it screws up the whole reflux process.....any help or suggestions will
      be greatly appreciated....Maxtonnage
    • Rod&kaz
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
        1 Pint = 600ml so 1/2 Pint would = 300ml not 100ml as you have said
        but is always best to get rid of more then less. As for me i throw
        out the 1st 200ml from a 50l wash

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David <maxtonnage@e...> wrote:
        > Hi group....just made my third run with alcotech 48 hr turbo at 5
        days as
        > per inst. Internal reflux rig with cooling mods (all valved with
        lower
        > reflux tube shut off) am using propane turkey frier (16 gal beer
        keg fits
        > perfect). Added 1 tsp salt to sugar wash in the boiler after
        ferm. Temp
        > hit 79 degrees and held until end of run. Collected in pint bottles
        > numbered so I could keep track of the good stuff, but I have
        trouble
        > smelling or tasting the off's everyone talks about. I can tell
        faintly a
        > difference, but not enough to keep me from drinking it, after
        tossing the
        > first 100 ml, or almost half pint, in plain terms. I kept the last
        pint as
        > tails anyway, to add to next batch...I am not a purist, and simply
        add
        > product (92-93%abv) to coke and bottoms up...it works well... I use
        > quarters as boiling chips but recently found out these are clad in
        nickel,
        > not silver.......any problems with this? Am considering adding a
        second
        > reflux cooling tube to the top of the tower, as I cannot achieve
        total
        > reflux with just the one tube, and if I use the lower tube, I
        understand
        > that it screws up the whole reflux process.....any help or
        suggestions will
        > be greatly appreciated....Maxtonnage
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
          1 US gallon = 3.8 litres
          1 US pint = 475 ml

          1 Imp gallon = 4.5 litres
          1 Imp pint = 562.5 ml
          wal
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rod&kaz" <kazrodau@y...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
            Funny, all my empty pint bottles say 375 ML molded into the side of the
            bottle....go figure...Dave

          • Rod&kaz
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
              Well sorry about that but if the rest of the world would catch up to
              Australia everyone would know what was what. So Sorry did nor
              realise that the yanks and the pom's could not agree on that one as
              well as metric's. But oh well i will just have to sit back and have
              another drink.

              PS: stainless steel scrubber should not need to be taken out and
              washed not for awhile anyway

              http://archive.nnytech.net/

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              Service.

            • Rana Pipiens
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
                What about the structured copper mesh or copper scrubbers? I backed flushed mine and they still reeked and had a bit of black to them. R

                Rod&kaz <kazrodau@...> wrote:Well sorry about that but if the rest of the world would catch up to

                Service.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • stillyaakman
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David <maxtonnage@e...> wrote:
                  > my pint bottles say 375 ML molded into the side of the
                  > bottle....go figure...Dave
                  >
                  > 375 ml. is 1/2 a 750 ml. bottle which is closest to 1/5 gal. U.S.

                  Dan
                • SHINE~ ô¿ô
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2004
                    375ML is not a true U.S. pint!
                    Online metric converter; http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html
                    > my pint bottles say 375 ML molded into the side of the
                    > bottle....go figure...Dave
                    >
                    > 375 ml. is 1/2 a 750 ml. bottle which is closest to 1/5 gal. U.S.

                    Dan

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor