Another update

  • slacker75@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2001
      Hi, just thought I'd update you with the progress of my baby
      still
      (8L 26mm diam). I've now installed the two heating elements (big
      2.2kw for fast initial heat-up, and a little 500w for the main
      boil). I've also built a coil-in-a-tube type condenser to
      compare
      with the water jacket one, which in hindsight, was probably oversized.
      I've only tried runs with water so far, and I don't even
      have a
      thermometer yet (!) so I'm guessing at all the temps. The big
      element brings the water to the boil in about 20 mins, then I switch
      to the 500w. The sound of the boiling sounds fairly vigorous,
      I'm
      wondering if 500w is a little too much? I might put the little
      element though a big dimmer. Might that the surface it's sitting
      on
      acting as a soundboard though!
      The water coil in the condenser is of quite small ID (about 3mm)
      and the maximum I can get through it with tap pressure is about
      200ml/min. However, it seems very efficient, as there is no visible
      vapour, and the cooling water exits at a very warm temperature. Must
      get that thermometer!!! By contrast, the jacket condenser's
      cooling
      water exited at virtually the same temp as it went in, and so I would
      probably have had to install a good needle valve to keep the water
      flow right down to avoid messing up the temps in the column, and also
      wasting water. Will I need a needle valve for this condenser?
      Next? Well, I have to get the thermometer, maybe get a dimmer,
      hose up the condenser a little more professionally, insulate the
      columnÂ… and that's about it!
      Well, thanks for reading, and I'll get some pictures of it up
      soon!.

      -Tone
    • slacker75@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2001
        I know its the 1st sign of madness to be replying to your own posts,
        but...

        > The water coil in the condenser is of quite small ID (about 3mm)
        > and the maximum I can get through it with tap pressure is about
        > 200ml/min. However, it seems very efficient, as there is no
        > visible vapour, and the cooling water exits at a very warm
        > temperature.

        Actually, I can get about 500-600Ml/min through it... and the water
        is only warm for the 1st few seconds (presumable as it cools the
        copper tube). I ran it again today, @ about 350ml/min, and the water
        was very slightly warmer. Should get a needle valve really. With
        the collection valve totally open, I can get about 350ml/hour, so
        with a 10:1 reflux, this still is gonna be slow! But im happy with
        the little thing so far!

        By the way, the plastic tubing im using from the collection valve
        gets quite hot and leaves a plastic-y smell/taste in the distilate.
        What sort of tubing should i use?

        Thanks guys.
        -Tone