Column Packing

  • hydrografix@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2001
      Hello All

      Just new to the game and trying to figure out which is the better
      column packing marble or SS pot scrubbers? Any info is greatly
      appreciated.

      Thanks in Advance

      Bill
    • css1@hotkey.net.au
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2001
        --- In new_distillers@y..., hydrografix@y... wrote:
        > Hello All
        >
        > Just new to the game and trying to figure out which is the better
        > column packing marble or SS pot scrubbers? Any info is greatly
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in Advance
        >
        > Bill

        Hi Bill and welcome,
        I tried marbles first in my 15ltr still that has a 2" tower
        and found that with marbles the tower would flood and there
        was a build up of liquid above the marbles that was not
        running back down the tower.I changed to scrubbers and this
        problem was fixed.The still now puts out about 92% average
        no problems.Hope this helps.
      • hydrografix@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
          Thanks for your advice not being a chemical engineering expert at one
          time I was considering a mixture of both SS scrubbers and marbles but
          from your comments I will initially try the scrubbers.

          Thanks Once Again & Best Regards

          Bill

          --- In new_distillers@y..., css1@h... wrote:
          > --- In new_distillers@y..., hydrografix@y... wrote:
          > > Hello All
          > >
          > > Just new to the game and trying to figure out which is the better
          > > column packing marble or SS pot scrubbers? Any info is greatly
          > > appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks in Advance
          > >
          > > Bill
          >
          > Hi Bill and welcome,
          > I tried marbles first in my 15ltr still that has a 2" tower
          > and found that with marbles the tower would flood and there
          > was a build up of liquid above the marbles that was not
          > running back down the tower.I changed to scrubbers and this
          > problem was fixed.The still now puts out about 92% average
          > no problems.Hope this helps.
        • Tony & Elle Ackland
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
            Bill

            > > > Just new to the game and trying to figure out which is the better
            > > > column packing marble or SS pot scrubbers? Any info is greatly
            > > > appreciated.

            See http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm

            Marbles offer about 50 square meters of surface area per cubic meter.
            Scrubbers on the other hand are more like 800-1200 m2/m3. By offering so
            much more surface area, the scrubbers give the liquid & vapour more chance
            to interact & swap their water-alcohol

            Also, marbles, being spheres, take up about 62% of the volume they occupy.
            This doesn't leave a lot of room for the vapour & liquid to get past. The
            scrubbers on the otherhand probably only take up about 5% of the area.
            This means that for the same diameter pipe, you'll be able to run the
            scrubbers with a much higher heat input (eg heaps more vapour) (the marbles
            will just cause the column to "flood")

            Combine these two factors together, and the scrubbers will give a far
            better performance than marbles. Scrubbers can achieve in 12cm of packing
            what it takes marbles approx 35cm to do. Eg a 1m column packed with
            marbles will only do the equivalent of 3+1 distillations, but with
            scrubbers 8+1

            Tony