RE: [new_distillers] Re: Length of tubing in the condenser coil

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 2004
      Justin you are correct, you do not need to bother with the second needle
      valve, and in fact you can use a half inch copper tube as the return line.
      Think of it this way, if you are running the still at 100% reflux you want
      all the liquid to flow back into the tower, if it doesn't, (second valve
      turned off or flow restricted) what will happen is the liquid will continue
      to pool up until it overflows through the section of pipe that the vapour
      travels upward towards the condenser. When I built my first still I didn't
      use the "H" section as you are, I used an elbow and placed a tongue inside
      of the elbow to make the returning liquid drop into the centre of the
      scrubbers. I welded a fitting under the elbow and fitted the tap to this.

      The two tubes in the copper end cap you speak of only has to be slightly
      different in height, make the one that flows to the valve as flush as
      possible with the base, you can even try a slight thump on this tube with a
      hammer or similar to make the liquid pool in it's vicinity. The return line
      only needs to be slightly higher, this height is not critical. Although any
      great pool will cause the liquid to loose too much heat and consequently,
      the liquid will drop a lot further down the tube before returning to a
      vapour state.

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert

      _____