Yeast nutrients

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2004
    • raki_bottle
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2004
        I have seen this page and it indicate that Urea is not really
        dangerous. I am a little bit confused when compared to Harry's
        warning.
        I can add citric acid to make wash acidic together with fertiliser.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raki_bottle"
          <raki_bottle@y...> wrote:
          > I have seen this page and it indicate that Urea is not really
          > dangerous. I am a little bit confused when compared to Harry's
          > warning.
          > I can add citric acid to make wash acidic together with fertiliser.

          I can't see any sense in deliberately adding urea to a mash, when
          all the commercial producers and the BATF are deliberately spending
          millions to reduce it in their products. Do what the big boys do
          and you will have a good, safe product. Please read this page from
          the BATF to get a general picture...

          http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/fc0293ur.html

          HTH
        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2004
            A safe and readily available source of yeast nutrient in Turkey is
            crushed dried peas. You will notice in recipe 2 from your samogon
            link (samogon za sutki/samogon in a day) which is basically a sugar
            wash, milk and dried peas are added to act as the nutrients as sugar
            by itself is deficient in yeast nutrients. The milk is unecessary,
            but skim milk can be used to clear your wash after fermentation has
            finished (the casein in milk precipitates out the solids). The peas
            are fermentable and contain protein which supplies the amino acids
            for the yeast.

            Samogon in a day:
            5kg sugar
            500g baker's yeast
            1litre milk
            1kg peas
            20litres water (the recipe says 15l but this is low for baker's
            yeast - 1kg/4l is the rule of thumb)
            (yield = 5 litres of samogon)

            <raki_bottle@y...> wrote:
            > I have seen this page and it indicate that Urea is not really
            > dangerous. I am a little bit confused when compared to Harry's
            > warning.
            > I can add citric acid to make wash acidic together with fertiliser.
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
            wrote:
            > > Some sites -
            > > Nutrients and acidity
            > > http://www.homedistiller.org/ferment.htm
            > > Nutrients
            > > http://vinquiry.com/pdf/LallemandNutrientAdditions.pdf
            > >
            > > wal
          • waljaco
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 10, 2004
              Not being a chemist, it appears to me that it is excess urea or for
              that matter other precursors that could be a problem. The articles on
              the matter seem to refer to its formation in winemaking where urea is
              formed and not even added as a nutrient. But keep in mind that that
              most likely ethyl carbamate will not carry over during distillation.
              (?) If your urea nutrient is utilized by yeast during their growth
              stage, there will not be any free urea to react with alcohol during
              the fermentation stage anyway. I notice that a D.A.P. and urea mix is
              a quite common yeast nutrient sold for home brewers in the U.S.
              Some references -
              Ethyl carbamate
              http://www.awri.com.au/analytical_service/analyses/ethyl_carbamate/
              Urethane
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urethane
              Ethyl Carbamate Preventative Action Manual
              http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/ecaction.html

              wal

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
              wrote:
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raki_bottle"
              > <raki_bottle@y...> wrote:
              > > I have seen this page and it indicate that Urea is not really
              > > dangerous. I am a little bit confused when compared to Harry's
              > > warning.
              > > I can add citric acid to make wash acidic together with
              fertiliser.

              > I can't see any sense in deliberately adding urea to a mash, when
              > all the commercial producers and the BATF are deliberately spending
              > millions to reduce it in their products. Do what the big boys do
              > and you will have a good, safe product. Please read this page from
              > the BATF to get a general picture...
              >
              > http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/fc0293ur.html
              >
              > HTH
              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry
            • raki_bottle
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
                Thank you for response.
                I guess crushed dried peas are dried chick peas which
                called "leblebi". I will try it in my next batch.
                Also thanks for very informative posts about urea and carbamate.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
                > A safe and readily available source of yeast nutrient in Turkey is
                > crushed dried peas. You will notice in recipe 2 from your samogon
                > link (samogon za sutki/samogon in a day) which is basically a sugar
                > wash, milk and dried peas are added to act as the nutrients as
                sugar
                > by itself is deficient in yeast nutrients. The milk is unecessary,
                > but skim milk can be used to clear your wash after fermentation has
                > finished (the casein in milk precipitates out the solids). The peas
                > are fermentable and contain protein which supplies the amino acids
                > for the yeast.
                >
                > Samogon in a day:
                > 5kg sugar
                > 500g baker's yeast
                > 1litre milk
                > 1kg peas
                > 20litres water (the recipe says 15l but this is low for baker's
                > yeast - 1kg/4l is the rule of thumb)
                > (yield = 5 litres of samogon)
                >
                > wal
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raki_bottle"
                > <raki_bottle@y...> wrote:
                > > I have seen this page and it indicate that Urea is not really
                > > dangerous. I am a little bit confused when compared to Harry's
                > > warning.
                > > I can add citric acid to make wash acidic together with
                fertiliser.

                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > > Some sites -
                > > > Nutrients and acidity
                > > > http://www.homedistiller.org/ferment.htm
                > > > Nutrients
                > > > http://vinquiry.com/pdf/LallemandNutrientAdditions.pdf
                > > >
                > > > wal
              • pfcslr
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
                  Another great yeast nutrient is dead yeast, if you make a large
                  starter slury but bring it to a boil you will have a great
                  nutrient. This works even better if you save a portion of the same
                  slurry as your pitching yeast.

                  wrote:
                  > A safe and readily available source of yeast nutrient in Turkey is
                  > crushed dried peas. You will notice in recipe 2 from your samogon
                  > link (samogon za sutki/samogon in a day) which is basically a
                  sugar
                  > wash, milk and dried peas are added to act as the nutrients as
                  sugar
                  > by itself is deficient in yeast nutrients. The milk is unecessary,
                  > but skim milk can be used to clear your wash after fermentation
                  has
                  > finished (the casein in milk precipitates out the solids). The
                  peas
                  > are fermentable and contain protein which supplies the amino acids
                  > for the yeast.
                  >
                  > Samogon in a day:
                  > 5kg sugar
                  > 500g baker's yeast
                  > 1litre milk
                  > 1kg peas
                  > 20litres water (the recipe says 15l but this is low for baker's
                  > yeast - 1kg/4l is the rule of thumb)
                  > (yield = 5 litres of samogon)
                  >
                  > wal
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raki_bottle"
                  > <raki_bottle@y...> wrote:
                  > > I have seen this page and it indicate that Urea is not really
                  > > dangerous. I am a little bit confused when compared to Harry's
                  > > warning.
                  > > I can add citric acid to make wash acidic together with
                  fertiliser.

                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > > Some sites -
                  > > > Nutrients and acidity
                  > > > http://www.homedistiller.org/ferment.htm
                  > > > Nutrients
                  > > > http://vinquiry.com/pdf/LallemandNutrientAdditions.pdf
                  > > >
                  > > > wal
                • raki_bottle
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12, 2004
                    I am using dead yeast as nutrient right now. I have started a new
                    batch with bakers yeast. Most probably due to bakers yeast's
                    intolerance to alcohol, fermentation slowed down in the middle. Wash
                    was still too sweet. My wash was in 18 liters plastic bucket. So I
                    put about 10 liters of wash to my pot still and distilled. I have got
                    about 1 liters of low alcohol with a stripping run. After that I
                    added back left wash to original wash and inoculated with new yeast.
                    Now fermentation is going on really fast.

                  • waljaco
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 12, 2004
                      In Russia they would use the ordinary garden peas. They are also
                      dried and used to make pea soup. They are also fermentable. Chickpeas
                      are very high in protein (amino acids/nitrogen) and you would need
                      less.