Re: new to group (Arak/raki)

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 10, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raki_bottle"
      <raki_bottle@y...> wrote:
      > Thank you for responses.
      You might be looking for a recipe for Turkish raki perhaps? -

      Or maybe you have one for us.
      wal
    • raki_bottle
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 10, 2004
        Here is a link to page of Turkish Raki producer company. There is not
        much information though.

        http://www.tekel.gov.tr/tekel_eng_html/html/raki_frame.html

        This is government owned monopoly which produces spirits in Turkey.
        It is about to be privatised soon. And I know that a lot of private
        companies ready to produce and export raki. So maybe soon raki can be
        found at liquor shops.
        I am trying to reach to people who work in raki factory. If i find
        information, i will post it.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "raki_bottle"
        > <raki_bottle@y...> wrote:
        > > Thank you for responses.
        > You might be looking for a recipe for Turkish raki perhaps? -
        >
        > Or maybe you have one for us.
        > wal
      • Charles Nemecek
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 11, 2007
          hi all, I've been distilling for about 6 months using a pot still with
          a sugar,water yeast and molassas wash. I think I end up with a pretty
          good tasting product although my wife hates it. She is a vodka drinker
          and I would like any advise on a simple vodka mash.
        • Jan Wouter
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12, 2007
            I would suggest to take a pure sugar wash using turbo yeast. Distill
            twice and carbon filter.
            That should do the trick
            Jan Wouter

            2007/2/11, Charles Nemecek <chasnemecek@...>:
            > hi all, I've been distilling for about 6 months using a pot still with
            > a sugar,water yeast and molassas wash. I think I end up with a pretty
            > good tasting product although my wife hates it. She is a vodka drinker
            > and I would like any advise on a simple vodka mash.

          • Chas Nemecek
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 12, 2007
              Jan,

              Thanks for the advice. I have used the pure sugar wash but unfortunately I am in a country that frowns on any type of liquor so my ability to buy anything that even closely resembles making is impossible to get. I have to satisfied with ordinary yeast for now. I will try the carbon filtering and going back to the pure sugar wash.

              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              From: janwouter.mailgroups@...
              Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:42:19 +0100
              Subject: Re: [new_distillers] new to group

              2007/2/11, Charles Nemecek <chasnemecek@ hotmail.com>:
              > hi all, I've been distilling for about 6 months using a pot still with
              > a sugar,water yeast and molassas wash. I think I end up with a pretty
              > good tasting product although my wife hates it. She is a vodka drinker
              > and I would like any advise on a simple vodka mash.

              Get connected - Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live Messenger now. Connect now!
            • ian andersen
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 12, 2007
                Try Victors' econ-o-wash available here
                homedistiller.org/detail/econ-o-wash.doc
                just scale down the Quantities to suit your need
                Ian
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chas Nemecek <chasnemecek@...>
                wrote:

                > Jan,
                >
                > Thanks for the advice. I have used the pure sugar wash but
                unfortunately I am in a country that frowns on any type of liquor so
                my ability to buy anything that even closely resembles making is
                impossible to get. I have to satisfied with ordinary yeast for now. I
                will try the carbon filtering and going back to the pure sugar wash.

                > To: new_distillers@...: janwouter.mailgroups@...: Mon, 12 Feb 2007
                10:42:19 +0100Subject: Re: [new_distillers] new to group

                Wouter2007/2/11, Charles Nemecek <chasnemecek@...>:> hi all, I've
                been distilling for about 6 months using a pot still with> a
                sugar,water yeast and molassas wash. I think I end up with a pretty>
                good tasting product although my wife hates it. She is a vodka
                drinker> and I would like any advise on a simple vodka mash.>>

                > Live Search: New search found
                > http://get.live.com/search/overview

              • jim santarchangelo
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2007
                  Hello Tony,
                  thankyou,I'm looking foreward to this.This is all new to me,still have my cherry. If you have anything that make my start easier,please tell me .Later Jim.

                  Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 14, 2007
                    Hello everyone. My question is how can I tell what "proof" the alcohol
                    is?
                  • Larry
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                      At 06:29 PM 11/14/2007, you wrote:

                      >Hello everyone. My question is how can I tell what "proof" the alcohol

                      Get a measuring cylinder, like this one:
                      http://www.brewhaus.com/250ml_Measure_p/40005210.htm

                      Then get an alcoholometer, like this one:
                      http://www.brewhaus.com/Alcoholmeter_30cm_p/40005005.htm

                      Put some alcohol in the cylinder, float the alcoholometer, and read it,
                      then correct for temperature.

                      Double the percentage it reads to get "proof".

                      If you get a reading of 80%, then you have 160-proof liquor.

                      Old-time moonshiners used to shake the liquor in a jar, and observe the
                      bubbles to determine proof. Bubbles are formed at a different size, and
                      rise at a different speed, depending on what percentage of alcohol is in
                      the liquid.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                        Hi Tom - Welcome aboard,

                        There are 2 types of Hydrometers to tell alcohol by volume.

                        One type is the Wine or Beer Hydrometer that gives the specific
                        gravity of the mash, wort, must etc before distillation and the
                        amount of sugar and potential alcohol in it. You take an intial
                        reading before fermenting, then a reading after fementation and
                        subtract the 2 readings - this gives you the potential alcohol in it.

                        The other type is the alcohol hydrometer or proof hydrometer that
                        measures amount of alcohol by volume in a distilled liquid. It
                        usually has on it "Proof & Tralle - Scale for spirit U.S. Custom
                        House" (at least here in the US it does).

                        If you dont have one of these - try the old method - put some in a
                        spoon and light it (actually they put it in black gunpower in the
                        old days) - if it dont burn its below 40% (80 proof), if it burns
                        with a light blue flame only its 40 - 50% (80 - 100 proof),
                        if it burns with a hot blue flame and some yellow on top then its at
                        least "proof" (50% or more - ie. "over proof"), if it blows up in
                        your face - then you know you have some real hootch :):):).

                        Then of course, theres the more subjective method - take a shot
                        glass, and keep pouring and drinking till you see double - count the
                        shots (if you remember) and using your past drinking history
                        experiences - calculate backwards (not the suggested way of doing
                        it :):).

                        Vino es Veritas,
                        Jim.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <harley_tom2002@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hello everyone. My question is how can I tell what "proof" the
                        alcohol
                        > is?

                      • sonum norbu
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007