Re: Success With Absinthe

  • the1foy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
      Don't get me wrong, if you're happy with it, then more power to
      you. I'm not trying to insult your product or you in any way. I
      was just trying to give advice to help achieve a better traditional
      product. The reason I disparaged the star anise is simply that it
      is usually considered an inferior herb to the green anise, but it
      does contribute in a large degree to a wonderful louche (which is
      usually why it is used, as I understand it). If you like the
      flavour, then by all means use it. You're making it for your
      enjoyment, not mine, or anyone elses (except, I suppose, possibly
      your friends). That being said, I still think that you should look
      into refining the product. But if you're happy with it as is, and
      are not interested in modification, then I suppose I can get over
      it...eventually. With some therapy. Seriously, enjoy your absinthe.
    • Peter Paddon
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
        > Don't get me wrong, if you're happy with it, then more power to
        > you.

        Don't worry, I didn't think you were insulting my product :o) I just
        wanted you to know that while I will probably keep on experimenting
        (because that's something I can't resist), I was extremely happy with
        my first attempt.

        Perhaps I should also say that when I said a 'fistful' of star anise,
        I was being a little vague, and that I just put in an amount
        that 'felt' right - I have small hands, so a fistful isn't really
        that much anyway :o)

        Ultimately, I used the stuff I used because I was impatient and
        wanted to get my first distillation under my belt. I was lucky to get
        a first result that exceeded my expectations. Now my friends are
        volunteering to provide ingredients for me to continue my
        experiments, so I will have ample opportunity to refine my skills -
        and I plan to try other recipes too, such as creating a damiana
        liquer, though research for that is proving less straightforward.

        Thank you for your feedback - I really do appreciate it.

        Peter