Re: Success With Absinthe

  • Peter Paddon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
      > You might want to do a little more research on recipies. You
      > shouldn't be using nearly as much star anise (if any), and it seems
      > like an odd (and bad) idea to use it in the colouring step. It
      > would also be worth it to seek out the appropriate ingredients that
      > you didn't have.

      Well that would depend on my reasons for making it. I'm aiming to
      make an enjoyable drink that has the properties of the original,
      nothing more. I'm not trying to recreate an exact copy. As star anise
      was in the original recipe used by Pernod (the company, not the
      modern drink), both in the maceration and coloring stages, I don't
      see why I shouldn't use it - it is the essential oils from the star
      anise that are the primary cause of the precipitation when water is
      added. Plus I like the flavor of star anise...

      As I got the results I wanted from the ingredients I used, I have no
      reason to worry about the ones I didn't use - of course, I will
      certainly try them out at some point from curiosity, but as they are
      primarily of an anise-type flavor, they're not going to change the
      overall flavor that much.

      Just so you know, my end result was exactly what I wanted, a
      beautiful clear emerald green liquid that formed a milky 'louche'
      when water was drizzled through a sugar cube into it. It tasted
      exactly the way I wanted it to, and had all the effects I anticipated
      it to have. As I'm making this purely for my own pleasure, and I was
      very pleased, I consider it a total success, as do my friends who
      shared it with me.

      Peter
    • the1foy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
        Don't get me wrong, if you're happy with it, then more power to
        you. I'm not trying to insult your product or you in any way. I
        was just trying to give advice to help achieve a better traditional
        product. The reason I disparaged the star anise is simply that it
        is usually considered an inferior herb to the green anise, but it
        does contribute in a large degree to a wonderful louche (which is
        usually why it is used, as I understand it). If you like the
        flavour, then by all means use it. You're making it for your
        enjoyment, not mine, or anyone elses (except, I suppose, possibly
        your friends). That being said, I still think that you should look
        into refining the product. But if you're happy with it as is, and
        are not interested in modification, then I suppose I can get over
        it...eventually. With some therapy. Seriously, enjoy your absinthe.
      • Peter Paddon
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
          > Don't get me wrong, if you're happy with it, then more power to
          > you.

          Don't worry, I didn't think you were insulting my product :o) I just
          wanted you to know that while I will probably keep on experimenting
          (because that's something I can't resist), I was extremely happy with
          my first attempt.

          Perhaps I should also say that when I said a 'fistful' of star anise,
          I was being a little vague, and that I just put in an amount
          that 'felt' right - I have small hands, so a fistful isn't really
          that much anyway :o)

          Ultimately, I used the stuff I used because I was impatient and
          wanted to get my first distillation under my belt. I was lucky to get
          a first result that exceeded my expectations. Now my friends are
          volunteering to provide ingredients for me to continue my
          experiments, so I will have ample opportunity to refine my skills -
          and I plan to try other recipes too, such as creating a damiana
          liquer, though research for that is proving less straightforward.

          Thank you for your feedback - I really do appreciate it.

          Peter