Thought I had a rudimentry ubnderstanding

  • razorbackaviator
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2004
      Hello all,
      recently completed a small compound. 20" tower w/ cooler
      atop 3 gallon cooker. Thermometer in evap vessel and again in top of
      tower. Liebig condensor (12" long w/ 8' coil inside) . First run
      dismal dissapointment. 20L batch, 11.5% abv at the hydrometer, 3
      hours worth of cook and got less than a quarter cup of "fuel". 6 day
      ferment, bag baloon deflated, and wort still tasted sweet. Used wine
      yeast,yeast nutrient, citric acid, campden tabs,and distilled water.
      I expected at least 2L of end productl,uncut. 1/4" plastic tube
      approx. 24" long be/ tower and condensor. Tower insulated w/ 1/4"
      ALPSA (aluminized pressure sensitive adhesive). Temp at top of tower
      hovered at 204F and got sporadic belching through tube. Thinking of
      adding a vacuum system to get operating temps down in the 180-195F
      range. Any advice?
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "razorbackaviator"
        <razorbackaviator@y...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > recently completed a small compound. 20" tower w/ cooler
        > atop 3 gallon cooker. Thermometer in evap vessel and again in top
        of
        > tower. Liebig condensor (12" long w/ 8' coil inside) . First run
        > dismal dissapointment. 20L batch, 11.5% abv at the hydrometer, 3
        > hours worth of cook and got less than a quarter cup of "fuel". 6
        day
        > ferment, bag baloon deflated, and wort still tasted sweet. Used
        wine
        > yeast,yeast nutrient, citric acid, campden tabs,and distilled
        water.
        > I expected at least 2L of end productl,uncut. 1/4" plastic tube
        > approx. 24" long be/ tower and condensor. Tower insulated w/ 1/4"
        > ALPSA (aluminized pressure sensitive adhesive). Temp at top of
        tower
        > hovered at 204F and got sporadic belching through tube. Thinking
        of
        > adding a vacuum system to get operating temps down in the 180-195F
        > range. Any advice?

        If the wort tasted sweet, there was not much alcohol in it. What
        was the initial SG and the final SG?
        The problem is somewhere in the wort, either bad (old) yeast,
        incorrect pH or other (temp?). You really need a good hydrometer
        and record your Specific Gravities. A pH meter is also very
        useful. Incorrect pH can kill yeast in a heartbeat.

        Look at the wort sweetness position first. Fix that and then think
        about fine-tuning your still. You won't get much alcohol from a
        sweet wash.

        HTH
      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2004
          Have a read through the achieves of the yahoo groups new distillers and
          distillers. As well most of us thoroughly recommend a read and then re-read
          of the web site http://www.homedistiller.org <http://www.homedistiller.org/>
          the backup/alternative site is http://distiller.servebeer.com or at least
          the parts that are relevant to your type of still.

          If possible a couple of digital photos of your gear, placed in the photo
          section of the new distillers web site will allow more people to make an
          informed discussion as to your problem.

          A question, did you add the Camden tablets to the fermenting wash? If so I
          would almost certainly bet the final product of my next batch that this is
          where you went wrong. Camden tablets are used for sterilizing your equipment
          and as such things need to be rinsed off with fresh water before using them,
          otherwise the yeast will die.

          Camden tablets + yeast = dead yeast.

          Yours in Spirit

          Robert

          _____

          recently completed a small compound. 20" tower w/ cooler
          atop 3 gallon cooker. Thermometer in evap vessel and again in top of
          tower. Liebig condensor (12" long w/ 8' coil inside) . First run
          dismal dissapointment. 20L batch, 11.5% abv at the hydrometer, 3
          hours worth of cook and got less than a quarter cup of "fuel". 6 day
          ferment, bag baloon deflated, and wort still tasted sweet. Used wine
          yeast,yeast nutrient, citric acid, campden tabs,and distilled water.
          I expected at least 2L of end productl,uncut. 1/4" plastic tube
          approx. 24" long be/ tower and condensor. Tower insulated w/ 1/4"
          ALPSA (aluminized pressure sensitive adhesive). Temp at top of tower
          hovered at 204F and got sporadic belching through tube. Thinking of
          adding a vacuum system to get operating temps down in the 180-195F
          range. Any advice?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129i7464s/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups
          /S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1086603409/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*http:/www.netfl
          ix.com/Default?mqso=60183351> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2164331/rand=278697774>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • david chadwick
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2004
            Now I'm really beginning to worry. Here's the "Thin Wort" receipe I used from my copy of Successful Home Distilling; For one gallon batch, 2lbs white sugar,1 tsp wine yeast, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 tblspn lemon jiuce, 1 campden tab, enough 75-90F water to make a gallon.
            dissolve sugar,nutrient, campden tab,and lemon juice, make lots of bubbles by stirring, add yeast, cover.
            Larger batches simply multiply all ingredients except yeast. ( up to 20l)
            The campden tab is a sterilant?
            Will work on getting digital photos

            Robert N <dinks_c@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, david chadwick
              <razorbackaviator@y...> wrote:
              > Now I'm really beginning to worry. Here's the "Thin Wort" receipe
              I used from my copy of Successful Home Distilling; For one gallon
              batch, 2lbs white sugar,1 tsp wine yeast, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1
              tblspn lemon jiuce, 1 campden tab, enough 75-90F water to make a
              gallon.
              > dissolve sugar,nutrient, campden tab,and lemon juice, make
              lots of bubbles by stirring, add yeast, cover.
              > Larger batches simply multiply all ingredients except yeast.
              ( up to 20l)
              > The campden tab is a sterilant?
              > Will work on getting digital photos

              I do believe we have an answer to your dilemma...

              Campden Tablets:
              Sodium metabisulfite in tablet form. For inhibiting harmful
              bacteria. Add to juice 24 hours prior to fermentation. One tablet
              produces about 50 ppm of sulfur dioxide per 5 gallons of wine.

              Leave it out of your distillers mash as you will be fermenting
              immediately and vigorously. Wine is a different matter.

            • Robert N
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
                Hi David, no need to worry too much as you were basically on the right
                track. I would like a dollar for every mistake I have made in this hobby.
                The Camden tablets are used for sterilizing things prior to brewing. Make up
                some water and Camden tablet wash in a bucket and slosh it around in the
                fermenter bucket and all the other items such as hose and spoons used to mix
                things together then rinse it all down will fresh water. Even the
                chlorinated tap water has some effect on the fermenting process. Having said
                that I usually use the garden hose on spray to dissolve the sugar. This adds
                oxygen to the mix, (saves having to stir it) if you live in a colder climate
                a mixture of boiling water (boiled water has very little oxygen in it, so a
                vigorous stir is needed) may be preferable to obtain the temperature range
                you are after.

                Do you know what type of yeast you are using or has it been sold to you as
                wine yeast? All will work just some are better. I trust you are rehydrating
                the yeast prior to tossing it in the sugar water and nutrient mix? Slap the
                lid on the fermenter, leave it sit for a week or two until the yeast has
                stopped fermenting and dropped to the bottom. Siphon off gently into the
                boiler and distil twice for a more pure product. In the mean time as I said
                before, read through the web distilling sites and ask questions.

                Yours in Spirit

                Robert

                _____

[...]

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129nu1e6t/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups
                /S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1086659744/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http:/www.netfl
                ix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
                :HM/A=2164330/rand=511650338>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • david chadwick
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
                  Whew!, Boy do I feel better! Am a little urked that the only book I have on distillation had me including the campden tab in the wash. Kinda curious how such a oversight made it through the proofing (reading ) stage. Anyone else familar with this publication
                  "Successful Home Distilling", paperback, 40pgs., by Stilllife Publishing.
                  The yeast I had used was Red Stars' Montrachet wine yeast from the brew shop (70 miles away- now thats determination. ). Then the last time I went there ( 70 miles remember) through our discussion of wining (actually more like WHINING heh!heh! ) he hooked me up with something called LALVIN EC-1118 wine yeast. Is this a turbo type? He said it is tolerant to 20-21% . Didn't think a ferment could go that high (16% max).
                  Thank you for taking the time to make sure my training wheels are on straight and tight. I do have a confession (they always come at the end don't they?) to make.., the 70 miles?...., I drive it everyday to get to work. Cheers!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
                    http://www.lallemandwine.com/products/yeast_chart.php

                    now you are on the right track with that yeast. Have a look at the above web
                    link about the yeasts produced by the same manufacturer. The 21% is when
                    EVERYTHING is working correctly. The rest of us mere mortals are happy
                    with18%. Just think of the last batch as an experiment. Now read some more
                    and hold on tight for the ride of your life.

                    It could be worse you could be driving that through peak hour gridlock each
                    day.

                    Robert

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
                      <razorbackaviator@y...> wrote:
                      > Whew!, Boy do I feel better! Am a little urked that the only book
                      I have on distillation had me including the campden tab in the wash.
                      Kinda curious how such a oversight made it through the proofing
                      (reading ) stage. Anyone else familar with this publication
                      > "Successful Home Distilling", paperback, 40pgs., by Stilllife
                      Publishing.

                      40 pages??! Serious distilling books would barely get past the
                      introduction if they only had 40 pages. Good references are a tad
                      longer. Some are even free to browse :-)
                      complements of some very generous contributors.

                    • david chadwick
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
                        I MUST say YOU have the right demeanor of someone that I want to converse with.Thank YOU Robert! Being a neophyte opens the gate to harrasment from lower individuals that live for the opprotunity to ridicule. ( And I have already seen one or two here) I am more than likely going to be bending your ear down the road. Again Thank You for more than the advice that you've provided me with.
                        David Chadwick
                        Robert N <dinks_c@...> wrote:(RazorbackAviator)http://www.lallemandwine.com/products/yeast_chart.php

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
                          Thanks Harry , I WILL check them out. Thank You for the help. Your assistance will be remembered.
                          Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, david chadwick