Re: Steel 44 Gallon Boiler.

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
      Rust does not carry over. There have been cast iron rum boilers and
      wooden Coffey stills. Here is a SE Asian example - the fermenting is
      done in clay pots and the distillation in 44gal drums:
      1) http://fabien.aubert.free.fr/fab_laos_02_34g.jpg
      2) http://www.shieldsaroundtheworld.com/pics/P0003125.jpg
      3) http://www.amateras.com/trip/laos/LaoMake360x240.jpg

      wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "seaker350" <seaker350@y...>
      wrote:
      > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004"
      > <ledaswan@i...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I want to use a steel 44 gal drum as a boiler for a large
      still.
      > > > use several times for a stripping run.
      > > >
      > > > It is painted inside and the lid has an external rim clamp.
      > > > I know it would be perfect in SS, but dont have one.
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone see any isses with the resulting distillate. In
      the
      > > > worst case senario, what would happen if you had a rusty drum
      as
      > > > boiler?
      > > >
      > > > Hari.
      >
      > Murphy's law at it's finest. The true followers of the craft of
      > making home made product work hours at cleaning and sanitizing
      their
      > equipment every time they produce a batch, whether making mash,
      > distilling, or before or cleaning up after each procedure. Yes,
      > economical is good, but not thinking clearly can be deadly. All I
      > ask is that if you read the previous posts, take a moment to think,
      > and ask yourself, would this make a premium product? If you start
      > cutting corners on the most basic premise of the craft, attention
      > could be drawn to what is still an illegal procedure. This could
      be
      > bad. Think, Read, think, and read some more. Questions are good,
      > but this is similar to "If I slit my wrists, will I have a
      > headache?" Keep searching, and you will come up with the perfect
      > solution. I wish you well.
    • harisaki2004
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
        Thanks Wal,
        Some good examples in the pics. The diagrams on the alcohol fuel
        website, show steel drums being used. I assume they can do this as
        they are not drinking it.

        Questions.
        1. Would you remove the paint with Caustic soda before running it?
        2. I imagine some ionic iron would be in solution in the distillate.
        Any one with a chemistry back ground can verify this?

        3. As this would be used for stripping only, the distillate would be
        redistilled in a small clean still, removing most the impurities if
        any. Any further comments?

        Hari.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
        > Rust does not carry over. There have been cast iron rum boilers and
        > wooden Coffey stills. Here is a SE Asian example - the fermenting
        is
        > done in clay pots and the distillation in 44gal drums:
        > 1) http://fabien.aubert.free.fr/fab_laos_02_34g.jpg
        > 2) http://www.shieldsaroundtheworld.com/pics/P0003125.jpg
        > 3) http://www.amateras.com/trip/laos/LaoMake360x240.jpg
        >
        > wal
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
          Most steel drums are coated inside with an epoxy type coating which
          should not be removed, as it protects the steel against corrosion,
          and therefore can be used for fermenting as well. Look up coatings
          used for steel drums.
          wal
          wrote:
          > Thanks Wal,
          > Some good examples in the pics. The diagrams on the alcohol fuel
          > website, show steel drums being used. I assume they can do this as
          > they are not drinking it.
          >
          > Questions.
          > 1. Would you remove the paint with Caustic soda before running it?
          > 2. I imagine some ionic iron would be in solution in the
          distillate.
          > Any one with a chemistry back ground can verify this?
          >
          > 3. As this would be used for stripping only, the distillate would
          be
          > redistilled in a small clean still, removing most the impurities if
          > any. Any further comments?
          >
          > Hari.
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
          wrote:
          > > Rust does not carry over. There have been cast iron rum boilers
          and
          > > wooden Coffey stills. Here is a SE Asian example - the fermenting
          > is
          > > done in clay pots and the distillation in 44gal drums:
          > > 1) http://fabien.aubert.free.fr/fab_laos_02_34g.jpg
          > > 2) http://www.shieldsaroundtheworld.com/pics/P0003125.jpg
          > > 3) http://www.amateras.com/trip/laos/LaoMake360x240.jpg
          > >
          > > wal
        • Brain Solenoid
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
            Please see bleow......

            BS

            wrote:
            > Thanks Wal,
            > Some good examples in the pics. The diagrams on the alcohol fuel
            > website, show steel drums being used. I assume they can do this as
            > they are not drinking it.
            >
            > Questions.
            > 1. Would you remove the paint with Caustic soda before running it?

            >> Caustic soda won't remove epoxy paint. What you need is a
            VERY, VERY strong chemical solvent or a mechanical method such as a
            rotary wire brush. Sandblasting is a good option as well.

            > 2. I imagine some ionic iron would be in solution in the distillate.
            > Any one with a chemistry back ground can verify this?

            >> Looking back, I'm inclined to go with the prior post on this
            one. Older boilers were carbon steel and definitely rusted, I'm sure,
            and were used. However, a rusted contaminated surface is extremely
            dificult to clean.

            > 3. As this would be used for stripping only, the distillate would be
            > redistilled in a small clean still, removing most the impurities if
            > any. Any further comments?

            > Hari.
          • harisaki2004
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2004
              thanks

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brain Solenoid"
              <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
              > Please see bleow......
              >
              > BS
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004"
              <ledaswan@i...>
              > wrote:
              > > Thanks Wal,
              > > Some good examples in the pics. The diagrams on the alcohol fuel
              > > website, show steel drums being used. I assume they can do this
              as
              > > they are not drinking it.
              > >
              > > Questions.
              > > 1. Would you remove the paint with Caustic soda before running it?
              >
              > >> Caustic soda won't remove epoxy paint. What you need is a
              > VERY, VERY strong chemical solvent or a mechanical method such as a
              > rotary wire brush. Sandblasting is a good option as well.
              >
              > > 2. I imagine some ionic iron would be in solution in the
              distillate.
              > > Any one with a chemistry back ground can verify this?
              >
              > >> Looking back, I'm inclined to go with the prior post on
              this
              > one. Older boilers were carbon steel and definitely rusted, I'm
              sure,
              > and were used. However, a rusted contaminated surface is extremely
              > dificult to clean.
              >

              > > 3. As this would be used for stripping only, the distillate would
              be
              > > redistilled in a small clean still, removing most the impurities
              if
              > > any. Any further comments?
              >

              > > Hari.
            • deddkatt
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 22, 2004
                Sorry to backtrack so far, but I am catching up after a long hiatus
                from computer use. The following is an abstract from an article
                published in the British medical journal, LANCET. Thought you all
                might find it worth considering when fabricating equipment. -DK

                "In a survey of 505 rural Zimbabweans, iron overload was found almost
                exclusively among men who consumed traditional beer brewed in steel
                drums. Among drinkers aged over 45 years, 23 of 111 men (21%) had
                high serum ferritin and a transferrin saturation of over 70%, a
                combination that indicates a risk of liver disease and other
                pathological effects from excess body iron. Iron overload, which is
                reported to be decreasing among urban Africans, may remain a public
                health issue in rural areas where more than 80% of the people of sub-
                Saharan Africa live."

                <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
                > After you get away from the fact that the steel boiler will rust and
                > not only dump a lot of iron oxides into the boiling wash but also
                be a
                > real pain to clean afterwards, you are faced with the chore of
                trying
                > to remove the paint.
                >
                > The option of leaving the paint on is really not an option. Please
                > ask yourself, "Would I eat this paint?", because that, in essence,
                is
                > what you'll be doing.
                >
                > The nature of the distillation process takes numerous chemicals in
                the
                > boiler and condenses them into another, more pure, solution. The
                > paint chemicals will follow this path........especially if their
                > volitile temperatures fall within the 178F degrees range.
                >
                > Please, do your self a favor and find another boiler. I know the
                > steel barrel is cheap and/or free, but your health isn't.
                >
                > Regards,
                > BS
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004"
                <ledaswan@i...>
                > wrote:
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > I want to use a steel 44 gal drum as a boiler for a large still.
                > > use several times for a stripping run.
                > >
                > > It is painted inside and the lid has an external rim clamp.
                > > I know it would be perfect in SS, but dont have one.
                > >
                > > Does anyone see any isses with the resulting distillate. In the
                > > worst case senario, what would happen if you had a rusty drum as
                > > boiler?
                > >
                > > Hari.
              • david chadwick
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 23, 2004
                  I have considered getting a 33 gallon SS unit, from all places - bee keepers supply catalog. About 100.00 $. Might look into it yourself. They even have a dump gate in the bottom ( for dispensing honey ).

                  deddkatt <deddkatt@...> wrote:Sorry to backtrack so far, but I am catching up after a long hiatus

                  <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
                  > After you get away from the fact that the steel boiler will rust and
                  > not only dump a lot of iron oxides into the boiling wash but also
                  be a
                  > real pain to clean afterwards, you are faced with the chore of
                  trying
                  > to remove the paint.
                  >
                  > The option of leaving the paint on is really not an option. Please
                  > ask yourself, "Would I eat this paint?", because that, in essence,
                  is
                  > what you'll be doing.
                  >
                  > The nature of the distillation process takes numerous chemicals in
                  the
                  > boiler and condenses them into another, more pure, solution. The
                  > paint chemicals will follow this path........especially if their
                  > volitile temperatures fall within the 178F degrees range.
                  >
                  > Please, do your self a favor and find another boiler. I know the
                  > steel barrel is cheap and/or free, but your health isn't.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > BS
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004"
                  <ledaswan@i...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I want to use a steel 44 gal drum as a boiler for a large still.
                  > > use several times for a stripping run.
                  > >
                  > > It is painted inside and the lid has an external rim clamp.
                  > > I know it would be perfect in SS, but dont have one.
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone see any isses with the resulting distillate. In the
                  > > worst case senario, what would happen if you had a rusty drum as
                  > > boiler?
                  > >
                  > > Hari.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • GWN
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 25, 2004
                    Greetings,
                    Would you have a URL for that unit??

                    GWN

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, david chadwick
                    <razorbackaviator@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > > volitile temperatures fall within the 178F degrees range.
                    > >
                    > > Please, do your self a favor and find another boiler. I know the
                    > > steel barrel is cheap and/or free, but your health isn't.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > > BS
                    > >

                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004"
                    > <ledaswan@i...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > Hi,
                    > > >
                    > > > I want to use a steel 44 gal drum as a boiler for a large
                    still.
                    > > > use several times for a stripping run.
                    > > >
                    > > > It is painted inside and the lid has an external rim clamp.
                    > > > I know it would be perfect in SS, but dont have one.
                    > > >
                    > > > Does anyone see any isses with the resulting distillate. In
                    the
                    > > > worst case senario, what would happen if you had a rusty drum

                    Service.

                  • david chadwick
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 25, 2004
                      Unfortunetly no. Been moving for a week and therre are a lot of boixes still around. I THINK they were called Rocky Mountain Bee. But I am not oathing to it. Haven't ran across their catalog in a while in all my junk ( she calls) . To me it's a data / reference library. Why is it that women don't get it? Is it that they're missing a gene, or are they missing a rib?, Oh wait a minute - that would be us MEN. Who would ever have thought that missing a rib could cause such a persistant headache?!
                      Keyword search- Bee Keeping, and see what you get.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 26, 2004
                        mebbe the rib is why we keep the "library"........we might find it