Home Winemakers Manual

    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2004
      Another very useful tome added.

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Rana Pipiens
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2004
        Harry, thanks for the recent two new additions to the alcohol library plus all of the previous ones. I just read your bio; very interesting. Any idea when the Scotch book will be available. What is the construction of the still that you use for whisky making? Thanks again, Rana.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
          wrote:
          > Harry, thanks for the recent two new additions to the alcohol
          library plus all of the previous ones. I just read your bio; very
          interesting. Any idea when the Scotch book will be available. What
          is the construction of the still that you use for whisky making?
          Thanks again, Rana.

          My pleasure, Rana. :)
          I'm only too happy to share, but the real thanks is to the people
          who are willing to contribute material to the library.

          re the still: it's a 20 litre all-copper potstill with 2 internal
          elements, 240v x 1400w and 240v x 400w. It started life as a
          Fowler's Vacola fruit preserving kit circa 1920, until I converted
          it to better use. ;)

          No pic of mine (camera's died) but it looked like this originally...
          http://www.geocities.com/gnikomson2000/vacola/

          re the scotch book: it's a work in progress, just like a good dram,
          methinks it will be several years in the making (So much to do, so
          little done, such things to be. - Alfred Lord Tennyson)

          it's not a myth, here's a tiny sneak preview, just the first 5
          pages...
          http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/WRL1585_Preview/
        • rocky_creek1
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14 10:24 AM
            I can't wait for the book. I have looked around some and I think that
            all of the ready made smoked malts seem to have hops added. I would
            presume that you don't or would not use malt with hops to brew for
            Scotch production.
          • Rana Pipiens

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14 11:31 AM
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1"
                <rocky_creek@d...> wrote:

                > I can't wait for the book. I have looked around some and I think
                that
                > all of the ready made smoked malts seem to have hops added. I would
                > presume that you don't or would not use malt with hops to brew for
                > Scotch production.

                I've got the book in the library...
                http://tinyurl.com/6wmcj

                Click on the little square icons top-left of page to bring up a
                Table of Contents & Chapters links panel.

                re the malts.......you presume correct. Hops make distilled spirits
                very bitter, and hops don't grow in Scotland. Scotch malt beer (the
                forerunner of scotch whisky) has no hops. A workaround is to use
                DME (Dry Malt Extract) powder or unhopped LME (Liquid Malt
                Extract). Much easier, no sparging etc. Just dissolve in hot water
                same as you do sugar, add cold water to recipe specs. Add nutrients
                & yeast, wait for the magic to begin. Read John Palmer's excellent
                online book "How to Brew" Chapter 3 for a good grounding in using
                malt extracts...
                http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3-4.html