Re: [new_distillers] Re: Mobile still

  • John Wisbey
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2004
      Zut alors e tant pis
      John Wisbey
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: waljaco
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 2:49 PM
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Mobile still

      See also -
      Bouilleurs de cru et bouilleurs ambulants
      http://tinyurl.com/2nllw
      In 1954 a new law was passed -
      "Des alors, le droit de succession n'existe plus."

      wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey"
      <johnwisbey@l...> wrote:
      > Many years ago I stopped in France to have some lunch in the hills
      beneath Fleurie. I and my family eat outside and in the garden was a
      contrapration, obviously made to be horse drawn, which looked like a
      fire appliance. Upon closer examination, it turned out to be a mobile
      still. I was dabbling in those days as well. The owner came out and
      told me that it was indeed a mobile still and was still used by her
      father. If my fractured French was correct, I understood that
      Napoleon often rewarded his military men with a licence to operate a
      mobile still, and this licence could only be passed on to a son. She
      told me there were quite a number of these apparatus still operating
      in France at that time. (about 20 years ago). Has anybody heard of
      this story and can they confirm its veracity.

      > Ciao for now.
      > John Wisbey

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor