Re: Heater Controller

    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yahpinot" <pinotte23@h...>
      wrote:
      > > Why is it burning at 1500w ? Are you using solids in your wash?
      >
      > Hi Harry
      >
      > Well all wash produce solids and I did not filter my wash. It was
      > 14% turbo wash and obviouly there were solids.
      >
      > It was not a problem when I made my grappa because I racked it
      > although one of the heater was black from burnt. However It did
      not
      > affect the taste because the wash was quite clean and it is
      obvious
      > there were still solids in it if it is not for the redish color. I
      > was already aware it would be a problem with a wash which will
      have
      > solid in it (not filter or rack).
      >
      > For this new batch yes there were solids in my wash. It was a 14%
      > turbo wash made for Vodka. I do not want to waste my time to
      filter
      > the stuff. Well I could be wrong but I do not think that two
      heater
      > running at 750W would burn the solids.
      >
      > I will add that I have a pot still and not a reflux one in case of
      > confusion.
      >
      > Regard
      >
      > Pin

      If you have solids, you need to do some or all of these things...
      1. Filter out the solids (in other words don't cook on the grains).
      2. Reduce the power a lot (my 20 lt pot runs at 400w for brandies).
      3. Agitate the wash while distilling (old grappa pots had a hand-
      crank to stir the mash. New larger stills have a small electric
      motor and paddle.)
      4. Leave the finished wort stand for a few days longer then rack
      off.
      5. Use finings to separate the solids and clear wort.

      Agitating the wash is your best bet for preventing 'burn' from
      grains and pommace. Also use only enough power to maintain a slow
      simmer. The best results come from "PATIENCE!!"