nice bourbon - flat coke?

  • rod
    Message 1 of 13 , May 10 5:40 AM
      Hi people, another newbie here looking for some tips / help.
      I'm currently producing some very fine and smooth bourbon, which is
      perfect to drink just with ice or cooled with water. The wife and
      some others only like to drink theirs with coke, but when the coke is
      mixed with the bourbon, it goes flat - hence not really enjoyable.
      Hoping someone can help. (P.S My still is a 30 litre reflux, all
      s/steel, electrically heated, the column is packed with small glass
      marbles, and the condenser is fresh water cooled. I'm getting approx
      92% off the still, cutting this to 45% with distilled & demineralised
      water, then fltering thru clean activated carbon).

      Cheers, Rod
    • Austin Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , May 10 8:24 AM
        You're producing bourbon at 92%? From a reflux still? Wowsers.... How are you aging it?

      • theholymackerel
        Message 3 of 13 , May 10 9:46 AM
          I wouldn't call anythin' run through a reflux still to 92% purity,
          and then charcoal filtered "Burbon".

          If ya want burbon, make a whiskey mash thats at least 51% corn...run
          it twice through a pot still... age on oak. Thats burbon.
        • Austin Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , May 10 9:57 AM
            My sentiments exactly.

          • Brain Solenoid
            Message 5 of 13 , May 10 11:08 AM
              If you get a chance to watch or rent the Burt Reynolds movie "White
              Lightening", I believe there's a scene in there where a bar owner in
              the South cuts the white lightening with Coca Cola and sells it to hit
              patrons as bourbon. It was delivered to him in plastic milk jugs.
              Too funny.

              BS

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "theholymackerel"
              <theholymackerel13@y...> wrote:
              > I wouldn't call anythin' run through a reflux still to 92% purity,
              > and then charcoal filtered "Burbon".
              >
              > If ya want burbon, make a whiskey mash thats at least 51% corn...run
              > it twice through a pot still... age on oak. Thats burbon.
            • whammo57
              Message 6 of 13 , May 10 5:40 PM
                To the group moderator.....

                Why does this message try to download a spyware prog called
                DOUBLECLICK to my computer when I click on it?????

                Kim

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brain Solenoid"
                <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
                > If you get a chance to watch or rent the Burt Reynolds movie "White
                > Lightening", I believe there's a scene in there where a bar owner
                in
                > the South cuts the white lightening with Coca Cola and sells it to
                hit
                > patrons as bourbon. It was delivered to him in plastic milk jugs.
                > Too funny.
                >
                > BS
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "theholymackerel"
                > <theholymackerel13@y...> wrote:
                > > I wouldn't call anythin' run through a reflux still to 92%
                purity,
                > > and then charcoal filtered "Burbon".
                > >
                > > If ya want burbon, make a whiskey mash thats at least 51%
                corn...run
                > > it twice through a pot still... age on oak. Thats burbon.
              • CornFed (Randy)
                Message 7 of 13 , May 10 6:31 PM
                  you could always pre-mix your bourbon and coke for your wife and then
                  load it into a soda fountain can and dispense it into her glass with
                  the CO2 mixing equipment. The extra bubbles might end up giving her
                  more buzzz for the buck at the same time. .... think about how
                  those bubbles in champaigne get straight to your head faster than
                  drinking wine of the same % ABV ...

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rod" <Chooze_2@h...> wrote:
                  > Hi people, another newbie here looking for some tips / help.
                  > I'm currently producing some very fine and smooth bourbon, which is
                  > perfect to drink just with ice or cooled with water. The wife and
                  > some others only like to drink theirs with coke, but when the coke
                  is
                  > mixed with the bourbon, it goes flat - hence not really enjoyable.
                  > Hoping someone can help. (P.S My still is a 30 litre reflux, all
                  > s/steel, electrically heated, the column is packed with small glass
                  > marbles, and the condenser is fresh water cooled. I'm getting
                  approx
                  > 92% off the still, cutting this to 45% with distilled &
                  demineralised
                  > water, then fltering thru clean activated carbon).
                  >
                  > Cheers, Rod
                • CornFed (Randy)
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 10 6:32 PM

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 10 6:55 PM
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whammo57" <kimwalk@u...>
                      wrote:
                      > To the group moderator.....
                      >
                      > Why does this message try to download a spyware prog called
                      > DOUBLECLICK to my computer when I click on it?????
                      >
                      > Kim

                      No idea, Kim. I suggest something is trying to hijack your
                      computer. Run a thorough scan of your entire system. It may be
                      local. Then if it still happens, contact yahoo customer care and
                      report the matter...
                      http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/mail/cgi_feedback

                      HTH
                    • bestdecker
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 10 7:31 PM
                        wrote:
                        > To the group moderator.....
                        >
                        > Why does this message try to download a spyware prog called
                        > DOUBLECLICK to my computer when I click on.....

                        Whammo..........run a google for "Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6.0" then
                        download and follow the prompts.Also you can try "Webroot Spy
                        Sweeper"
                      • Austin Smith
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 10 8:46 PM
                          I don't believe that Yahoo will try to download Doubleclick, although I'm not positive. Doubleclick is a tracking cookie. I've noticed a number of attacks on this Yahoo group recently. Ad-Aware is a very useful program. It will detect and remove all instances of programs such as Doubleclick.

                        • dark_taet
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 11 12:26 AM
                            Mate never had the flat issue...

                            Interestingly even with the Rum i made from real wash..hmm

                            Below is my version of a Bourbon.. its got a pretty strong
                            following here, but taste is all very individual. Having said that
                            i am getting tired of all the individuals who keep asking for
                            more ;-)

                            Now, i like a sweet bourbon more like Rebel Yell than Jim Beam..
                            Whilst this isn't perfected yet, but am feeling much closer than
                            when i started.. ; - )

                            I usually make my booze at around 55-60% otherwise i feel it lacks
                            impact, not sure if that alters the flavour but just incase.

                            Flagon 1 (5 litres)
                            Ok, start with some REALLY clean middle cuts add to that Top Shelf
                            Classic American Bourbon (Brown cardboard pack NOT black and red)
                            mix up as per the instructions on the pack, ie i use 2 packs to
                            4.5L. Then add to that 10 black pepper corns and 4 dried apricots.
                            Leave at least a week.

                            Flagon 2 (5 litres)
                            Second spirits with a mix of heads and middle should have a nice
                            burn without any off smell or "kick" add to that the JD oak chips.
                            Leave for 4 weeks, should go a nice tea colour. Again follow the
                            pack for the amount of oak.. So far i haven't removed any of the
                            old oak, i just add some more in... I'm sure that has to stop at a
                            point.. <grin>

                            Mixing to add to bottles
                            Mix in your desired ratio, i like 50/50, i also add in 1ml glycerin
                            for every 2L or so, rounds it out nicely.

                            The weird part is rum drinkers dont seem to mind it.....

                            Nice sweet'ish flavour that leaves a little bit of burn... And you
                            can still drink a bottle in a night and not have a hang over.

                            Matt
                          • rod
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 11 4:39 AM
                              don't really wish to get involved in soda fountains etc, might just
                              have to send her down the shop for some 'Cougar & Cola' cans! Thanks
                              anyway.

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CornFed (Randy)"