Re: Cost of Copper Pipe

  • watertrade2003
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2004
      You could also try scrap metal supplies, when the big plumbing
      contractors need a few dollars to buy beer for the work Christmas
      party they will take the copper and cash it in. My first few stills
      were made from perfectly good scrap copper (The insides were
      completely clean apart from a little dust) I don't think I paid more
      than a few dollars per kilo... the expense came with the fittings
      and packing - the still I currently use ( good old fashioned VM
      compound still) probably didn't cost me more than $50 to build -
      minus the solder and torch. With a good design you can reduce the
      amount of fittings needed too... this is defiantly not a hobby that
      needs alot of money to get good results...

      Shop around!! I'm sure you will be able to find copper at a similar
      price.! :)

      cheers
      Jim

      Oh... and that's Aussie dollars!...

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Me_Myself & I" <ko4qc1@q...>
      wrote:
      > ...:>)...check your local plumbing contractors and their
      suppliers....often they have pieces of those 20 ft sections laying
      around...they really have no use for them but they are too valuable
      to throw away....I have bought several 6-8 ft sections of 2 in
      copper for $1-$2 per ft...looks like I need to sell some on
      EBAY...:>)