Re: $5 !

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2004
      If you start selling your homemade beer, wine or jam for that matter
      without paying tax, see what happens!
      Some laws cannot be enforced - such as distilling for personal use
      only.
      wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "txbajabill" <txbajabill@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Smith"
      <asmith1@b...>
      > wrote:
      > > If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time
      at
      > a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to
      > doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he
      > can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

      > http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1
      >
      > http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5601.html
      >
      > "Withdraws, [1] uses, sells, or otherwise disposes of distilled
      > spirits produced under section 5181 for other than fuel use; shall
      be
      > fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years,
      or
      > both, for each such offense."
      >
      > http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5602.html
      >
      > "Whenever any person engaged in or carrying on the business of a
      > distiller defrauds, attempts to defraud, or engages in such
      business
      > with intent to defraud the United States of the tax on the spirits
      > distilled by him, or of any part thereof, he shall be fined not
      more
      > than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both. No
      > discontinuance or nolle prosequi of any prosecution under this
      > section shall be allowed without the permission in writing of the
      > Attorney General"
      >

      > So, that's not more than $10,000 and not more than 5 years for two
      > crimes (illicit distillation and tax fraud), plus penalties for
      > violating state laws.
      >

      > Sucks huh. Especially considering it's legal to make the alcohol in
      > the form of beer or wine, but not legal to simply purify it.
      Archaic
      > laws of an antiquated penal code. Ain't the U.S.A great! LAND OF
      THE
      > FREE! (I love my country, don't get me wrong, though the government
      > could use a little work)
    • vojeto
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2004
        wrote:
        > If you're in the States, you're looking at 5 years Federal time at
        a minimum. You better hope that the individual you're selling to
        doesn't get in some kind of trouble himself. When they ask what he
        can give them, he'll most definitely give them you.

        Assuming he ain't "one of them" himself. With this hobby, a certain
        amount of paranoia is a healthy instinct.

        Cheers
        JRae
      • Michael Horowitz
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8, 2004
          I'd like to clean the inside of a siphoning hose; about 3/8 ID.
          Any suggestions? - Mike
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Horowitz
            <mhorowit@c...> wrote:
            > I'd like to clean the inside of a siphoning hose; about 3/8 ID.
            > Any suggestions? - Mike

            I keep all my plastics i.e. hoses, funnels, taps , seals etc. in a
            20 litre bucket filled with water and 1 cup of bleach. When I need
            them, I just rinse them off with fresh water. When finished using,
            rinse again and return to the bucket. Keeps things squeaky clean
            and mould free. Change the water/bleach solution about once every
            month.

            HTH

            p.s.
            Don't do this with copper items, they'll go black. For copper,
            clean with vinegar then rinse with water.