Re: sugar wash formula

  • txbajabill
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
      wrote:
      > what kind of vessel were you using to ferment in?
      >
      > is there any problem with a plastic fermentation vessel? i'm
      looking
      > for somethign i can use to make mine in.
      > <SNIP>

      I have three 5-gallon glass carboys. Two are loaners and one I bought
      on E-bay for 20 bucks plus shipping. I prefer glass because I believe
      plastic just makes beer/wort/wash taste off (would you ever buy a
      beer that came in a plastic bottle if you had a choice?). My dad
      ferments his beer in plastic 5 gallon buckets, though. Many use
      plastic trashcans for volume; I'm sure plastic is okay, it's just
      preference.

      By the way, I use Lavlin EC-1118 yeast when I'm going for flavor
      recipe, Turbo yeast and sugar when I want a neutral spirit.
    • stillyaakman
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2004
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
        wrote:
        i'd love to see some formulas/input
        Rob Hodge

        Here's what I do.
        I have a 25 gal. fermentor. To it I add 40 lb. of the cheapest white
        granulated sugar I can find. Usually about $18 for 50#. To that I add
        enough hot tap water to disolve. Then I lower the water temp.and fill
        to 20 gal. Add three packs of Still Spirits ( the brand thats
        available to me) Turbo Yeast, and stand back! The temp. I add yeast
        at is about 80 deg. F. Also every thing is clean and sanitized.
        Almost immediatly I can smell the aroma of CO2 coming off the wash
        and when it appears to have stopped fermenting and tastes dry I
        distill in one run, @ about 96% abv. cut with filtered water to 45%
        and it is very good. That is not to say there is a tasteless result.
        To me there's a bit of a sweet taste and to my wife and some of my
        friends there's a vanilla sort of taste.
        I like it straight on ice,or with lime. It's good in most anything
        you'd make with vodka,rum or gin.
        Dan
      • unarobert
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2004
          do you have a good local do-it-yourself-style source for a
          fermentation vessel?

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stillyaakman"
          <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
          > wrote:
          > i'd love to see some formulas/input
          > Rob Hodge
          >
          > Here's what I do.
          > I have a 25 gal. fermentor. To it I add 40 lb. of the cheapest
          white
          > granulated sugar I can find. Usually about $18 for 50#. To that I
          add
          > enough hot tap water to disolve. Then I lower the water temp.and
          fill
          > to 20 gal. Add three packs of Still Spirits ( the brand thats
          > available to me) Turbo Yeast, and stand back! The temp. I add
          yeast
          > at is about 80 deg. F. Also every thing is clean and sanitized.
          > Almost immediatly I can smell the aroma of CO2 coming off the wash
          > and when it appears to have stopped fermenting and tastes dry I
          > distill in one run, @ about 96% abv. cut with filtered water to
          45%
          > and it is very good. That is not to say there is a tasteless
          result.
          > To me there's a bit of a sweet taste and to my wife and some of my
          > friends there's a vanilla sort of taste.
          > I like it straight on ice,or with lime. It's good in most anything
          > you'd make with vodka,rum or gin.
          > Dan
        • stillyaakman
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2004
            wrote:
            > do you have a good local do-it-yourself-style source for a
            > fermentation vessel?

            I got mine at the local homebrew supply shop. If I were getting
            another I'd go to the local resturant supply house. They have heavier
            food grade containers at a good price. If I remember correctly it was
            about $30 for a 30 gal. garbage can shaped container with a drain
            valve at the bottom and a good heavy lid.
            Dan
          • Darryl Humby
            Message 5 of 11 , May 11, 2004
              Those portable water containers in the 7 gallon size are suitable. Just buy one at wal-mart in the camping section. I have two of them going at once for a steady supply of wash. Easy to handle and pour with the built in spigot!

              Darryl

              <stillyaakman@y...> wrote:
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "unarobert" <rhodge@s...>
              > wrote:
              > i'd love to see some formulas/input
              > Rob Hodge
              >
              > Here's what I do.
              > I have a 25 gal. fermentor. To it I add 40 lb. of the cheapest
              white
              > granulated sugar I can find. Usually about $18 for 50#. To that I
              add
              > enough hot tap water to disolve. Then I lower the water temp.and
              fill
              > to 20 gal. Add three packs of Still Spirits ( the brand thats
              > available to me) Turbo Yeast, and stand back! The temp. I add
              yeast
              > at is about 80 deg. F. Also every thing is clean and sanitized.
              > Almost immediatly I can smell the aroma of CO2 coming off the wash
              > and when it appears to have stopped fermenting and tastes dry I
              > distill in one run, @ about 96% abv. cut with filtered water to
              45%
              > and it is very good. That is not to say there is a tasteless
              result.
              > To me there's a bit of a sweet taste and to my wife and some of my
              > friends there's a vanilla sort of taste.
              > I like it straight on ice,or with lime. It's good in most anything
              > you'd make with vodka,rum or gin.
              > Dan

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • ifixairplanes
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 8, 2004
                Just GO FOR IT. You'd be surprised an some good results
                under 'average' conditions. I'm not going to keep the whole house
                freezing just so I can keep the office (fermentation room) at the
                ideal temp. Sometines unintentional varriations in recipes are able
                to overcome less than optimal conditions. I start with 2.5 gal
                washes in 3 gal water jugs. If my alcohol is low after
                fermenting...I can usually supplement it with some free booze that
                one of my friends hasn't touched in forever.